Director of DevOps
We know, we know, “DevOps” by nature is a culture and not a title, but it caught your eye didn’t it? Now let’s talk about what we mean and why DevOps is more catchy than “Director of Developer Experience and Infrastructure,” which in essence is who you would be. In this role you would be the evangelist and architect for the methods and philosophies of DevOps, helping to guide the cultural development of Engineering at Updater. DevOps, as Mike Kail says, “Is a culture and a methodology that strives for continuous improvement and collaboration across teams and functional groups.” That mindset is at the core of this role and envelops two of our core Engineering values, No Dogmatism & Hyper Collaboration.
Updater is one of the fastest growing tech companies in NYC, and our goal is to streamline the moving process for the millions of households who move each year. Moving is complicated, but it shouldn’t be. That’s why our platform is comprised of a suite of both business and consumer-facing apps.
We're looking for someone that can act as a force multiplier to our entire Engineering organization. This role will manage and lead the DevOps team through projects like feature branch deployment, migration from Chef/CloudFormation to Docker & Terraform, and optimizing build & deployment pipelines. Working with other Engineering leaders to prioritize initiatives, identify areas of improvement, and support cross-functional teams in their initiatives.
About the role:
- Build & manage a lean DevOps team
- Evangelize tools, best practices, and mindset of DevOps across Engineering
- Create & foster the Developer Nirvana of efficiency, productivity, and happiness
- Architect, build out, and own Alerting, Monitoring, Build/Deploy, Onboarding, Infra Automation, DevSec, and Developer Experience
- Identify and manage budgeting for DevOps
- Identify and negotiate with external vendors
- Led DevOps team in a 30+ developer shop
- Transitioned an Eng team through an automation tool change, including defining the internal selection criteria. For example, Chef/Instances → Terraform/Containers
- AWS experience
- Linux container orchestration
- Flexibility & openness on which tools to use when
- Ability to accurately scope project requirements and delivery timelines
Nice to have:
- Experience with cross-functional teams
- Terraform experience
A month at Updater might include:
- Rotating office DJ duties
- Catered Monday breakfasts, Friday lunches, and rip-roaring happy hours
- Awesome off-site activities, like zombie laser tag and Escape the Room (just to name a few!)
- Cross-functional collaboration with the entire team
- Group outings to NYC Meetup events
Compensation & Benefits:
We're looking for top-tier talent, and we offer compensation packages that include competitive base salary & stock options. Our comprehensive benefits programs include health care, dental, transportation subsidies, and Flexible Paid Time Off (PTO).
Updater makes moving easier for the 17 million households that relocate every year in the US. With Updater, users seamlessly transfer utilities, update accounts and records, forward mail, and much more. Hundreds of the most prominent real estate companies in the US (from real estate brokerages to multifamily and relocation companies) rely on Updater’s real estate products to save clients hours with a branded and personalized Updater moving experience.
Headquartered in New York City, Updater has raised nearly $100 million from leading investors, including SoftBank Capital, IA Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Second Century Ventures (the strategic investment arm of the National Association of Realtors®), and more. Updater ranked #3 on Crain's 2016 Best Places to Work in NYC, ranking as the highest rated tech company on the list. For more information, please visit www.updater.com.
Updater is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Meet Some of Updater's Employees
Gretchen collaborates with Updater’s Engineering, Sales, and Success Teams to create ever-improving product features to streamline the moving process.
Back to top