Do you eat numbers for breakfast over your copy of The Financial Times? Do your friends beg you to look over their taxes for them? Do you love creating useful and efficient financial systems to streamline operations? If yes, then we want to hear from you!
We’re a fast growing startup looking for a Finance Director/Controller to oversee our financial operations as we continue to grow. You’ll be responsible for managing the day to day function of our accounting and finance department, including leading a team, ensuring compliance, and continuously seeking out opportunities to automate systems and processes by leveraging technology.
What you'll do:
- Create and maintain monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements in a timely and accurate manner.
- Own the monthly close and consolidation process for Updater and all subsidiaries
- Lead and manage a team of both accounting and financial operations (AP/AR) ensuring we maintain high performing financial operations
- Manage our audit partner relationship and process when required
- Consolidate all company entities and reporting functions
- Software selection and implementation for new accounting and finance systems, including a new ERP (Netsuite/Intacct/FinancialForce or similar)
- Ensure compliance with all applicable tax law, including federal and state income tax, sales and use tax, and franchise tax.
- Create monthly variance reporting and work closely with leaders to help them meet or exceed plans
- Manage the transition of manual finance & accounting tasks to automated tools
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
What you have:
- You’ve managed a finance and/or accounting department before as a senior accounting manager or controller, ideally, in a fast-growth technology start up.
- Experience in public accounting and understand what best practices look like, and enjoy balancing them against the needs of a fast-paced start-up
- A passion for equipping people with financial knowledge to make smart business decisions
- Experience leading and developing accounting teams
- You’re technologically minded and have a desire to improve processes and systems through technology.
- Experience implementing accounting systems
Updater makes moving easier for the 17 million households that relocate every year in the US. With Updater, users seamlessly transfer utilities, update accounts and records, forward mail, and much more. Hundreds of the most prominent real estate companies in the US (from real estate brokerages to multifamily and relocation companies) rely on Updater’s real estate products to save clients hours with a branded and personalized Updater moving experience.
Headquartered in New York City, Updater has raised nearly $100 million from leading investors, including SoftBank Capital, IA Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Second Century Ventures (the strategic investment arm of the National Association of Realtors®), and more. Updater was named a top 100 Crain's Best Places to Work in NYC twice and was ranked as the highest rated tech company on the list in 2016. In 2019, Updater was named as one of Built In NYC’s Best Places to Work. For more information, please visit www.updater.com.
Updater is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Back to top