Software Developer (Full-stack, Java essential) – London
WANTED: Software developer to join our extreme programming team. Someone who want to do more than just code, we want a dreamer, a creator, someone who likes to discuss ideas and enjoys working with others to design and create great features and products. Someone who understands that "what you build" is just as important as "how you build it". You will be discussing strategy, product design and system architecture as well as testing and coding, whilst working on market leading solutions in the social video space. You must be happy talking with non-technical people, discussing ideas, doing pair programming and be keen to develop your skills in all areas of product development.
In this role you'll work with a team of highly experienced developers (and other tech area specialists), and will work with a wide range of advanced web and cloud technologies. You'll develop your skills whilst applying them to real world problems. If you've ever thought "one day I would like to start a tech company" or "maybe I could lead a team", this is a great role to better understand what is involved- it gives you an opportunity to understand every aspect of product development – not just writing code.
Team Lead, Product Development
Private health cover, iPhone or Android phone, Cycle to Work scheme, childcare vouchers, season ticket loan, laptop allowance, conference attendance allowance.
About the Role: Mission
Your mission will be to:
- Work alongside Product Development team members and other Unruly teams to develop cutting edge products in the Social Video space using a combination of lean and agile development practices.
About the Role: Key Relationships
- Development team
- Customers (people across the business and end users)
About You: Experience
You must have:
- A real enthusiasm for constantly improving both software and software development processes
- Knowledge of:
- Java, Object Oriented Design
- Test Driven Development
- Domain Driven Design.
- HTML and CSS
- SQL or HQL
- Understanding of internet and web technologies such as HTTP, CDN's, DNS
- Experience of at least two of the following:
- Model-View style frameworks
- Spring or Play framework
- JVM Profiling and performance
About You: Skills
You must be:
- An excellent communicator with good attention to detail, able to communicate effectively both in person and in writing
- Interested in the latest web technologies and trends, cloud computing (particularly the Amazon AWS platform), scalability, high availability, Unix based servers and system monitoring.
- Able to simplify the apparently complex
- Able to thrive in a highly collaborative team of smart developers
- Able to adapt and align work to changing requirements and priorities
- An excellent communicator with good attention to detail
- Able to understand the programmatic advertising ecosystem, including the roles of DSPs, SSPs, Exchanges, RTB and Audience Targeting
About You: Behaviour
You must be:
- Sociable – happy to do pair programming
- Flexible – able to adapt and align work to changing requirements and priorities
- A team player – able to take shared ownership of code
- Passionate – interested in the latest web technologies and trends
- Confident – able to clearly express your ideas in discussions
About You: Education & Qualifications
- Honours-level degree or equivalent preferred (University of Life also counts)
The WOW factor!
We'd love it if you:
- Good understanding of extreme programming
- Are amazingly cross-skilled: from diagnosing network bottlenecks and debugging JS problems, through to doing complex backend OO programming and multi-threaded development – and love it all!
- You are an expert in both SQL and NoSQL data stores
- Have experience in building mobile apps on various platforms including HTML5
- Understanding of ad-serving and ad technologies
- Experience building or testing sites or mobile apps with various technologies e.g. HTML5
- Experience setting up / maintaining servers
You must be interested in helping the business gain value from the team's products and ensuring that the systems are operating correctly. This will involve participating in an out-of-hours on-call rota to investigate critical issues affecting your team's software. You must also be keen on using a Lean approach to new software development, with frequent releases and a focus on releasing minimal viable products into market as early as possible to increase feedback.
Send an email with CV attached and your name and "Software Developer" in the subject line to [email protected] Please specify your availability to commence the role and don't forget to tell us where you heard about the role! All applicants must be authorised to work in the UK.
We love reviewing all the applications we receive, but unfortunately we're not able to get back to everyone individually. If we'd like to move forward with your application we'll definitely be in touch!
Meet Some of Unruly's Employees
Jess distributes and optimizes global video campaigns. Though she’s a member of Unruly’s Operations Team, she works across multiple teams in the company.
Back to top