Software Developer – Data, London
Software developer and data advocate to join our extreme programming team. Someone who wants to do more than just code, we want a dreamer, a creator, someone who loves to discuss ideas and enjoys working with others to design and create great features and products. Someone who understands that "what you build" is just as important as "how you build it".
You will be discussing strategy, product design and system architecture as well as testing and coding, whilst working on market leading solutions in the ad technology space. You are happy talking with non-technical people, discussing ideas, doing pair programming and are keen to expand your knowledge in all areas of product development.
Does data float your boat? Fanatical about databases? Love representing data in an intuitive manner? Come and be part of our Reporting and Data Team. We are looking for someone to come and help us improve and scale our low latency, high throughput reporting system, which handles around 10k events a second with a data set growing by 1TB per day.
In this role you'll work and learn alongside a team of highly experienced cross-skilled developers and technology specialists, with a wide range of advanced web and cloud technologies. You'll develop your skills by applying them to real world problems, and collaborating with teams from across the business to deliver value in an incremental and sustainable way.
Reports To: Team Lead, Product Development
Location: Shoreditch, London
Employment type: Permanent
Working Hours: Fulltime
Salary: Highly competitive
Benefits: Private health cover, company smart-phone, Cycle to Work scheme, childcare vouchers, season ticket loan, laptop, and conference budget. There are monthly company social events, weekly deliveries of fruit and pastries, regular sci-fi film nights, and an annual Unruly Festival.
About the Role – Your mission will be to:
- Work alongside Product Development team members and other Unruly teams to develop cutting edge reporting products using a combination of lean and agile development practices.
About the Role – Key Relationships:
- Development team
- Customers (both within the business and end users)
Your Experience. You should have:
- Knowledge of:
- Java, Object Oriented Design
- Test Driven Development
- Domain Driven Design
- Both structured and schema-less datastores: e.g. Postgres, Vectorwise, Cassandra, Redis, Splunk
- Linux systems
- Experience of at least two of the following:
- Reporting on large batches of data
- Infrastructure as code: we use AWS, Puppet, and Terraform
- Building fault tolerant, performance critical system
- Profiling and performance monitoring
Your Skills. You should be:
- An excellent communicator with good attention to detail, able to communicate effectively both in person and in writing
- Avid follower of new technology trends in cloud computing (particularly Amazon AWS), scalability, high availability, Unix based servers and system monitoring.
- Able to simplify the apparently complex
- Able to thrive in a highly collaborative team of skilled developers and specialists
- Enthusiastic about constantly improving both software and software development processes
Your Outlook. You should be:
- Sociable – happy to do pair programming
- Flexible – skilled at adapting and aligning work to changing requirements and priorities
- A collaborative thinker – sharing responsibility and ownership of code, working together to deliver amazing software
- Passionate – interested in the latest web technologies and trends
- Articulate – able to clearly express your ideas in discussions
Your Education & Qualifications:
- Honours-level degree or equivalent preferred (University of Life also counts)
The WOW factor! We'd love it if you:
- Have a good understanding and experience with XP and Agile methodologies
- Are an expert in both SQL and NoSQL data stores with an interest in all things data
- Are amazingly cross-skilled: from diagnosing network bottlenecks and debugging JS problems, through to doing complex backend OO programming and multi-threaded development
- Understand the online advertising ecosystem – from ad-serving to Demand/Supply Side Platforms
- Have supported complex applications in a performance-sensitive environment
You should be passionate about helping the business gain value from the team's products, and willing to ensure that the systems are operating correctly. This will involve participating in an on-call rota to investigate and resolve critical issues affecting your team's software when they (rarely) occur out-of-hours.
We operate using a Lean approach to new software development, with frequent releases and a focus on getting minimal viable products into market as early as possible to gather incremental feedback – this forms the core of our process.
Send an email to [email protected] with CV attached, your name, and "Software Developer – Reporting and Data" in the subject line. Please specify your availability to commence the role and don't forget to tell us where you heard about the role! All applicants are required to be authorised to work in the UK.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
We love reviewing all the applications we receive, but unfortunately we're not able to get back to everyone individually. If we'd like to move forward with your application we'll definitely be in touch!
Meet Some of Unruly's Employees
Lead, News Corp. Partnerships U.S.
Sadie collaborates with Unruly’s News, Sales, and Operations Teams to deliver impactful video campaigns for the company’s clients. She also works with various ad agencies and publishers.
Back to top