Data Engineer – London
WANTED: A data engineer to join our extreme programming team. Someone who wants to do more than just code, we want a dreamer, a creator, someone who likes to discuss ideas and enjoys working with others to design and create great features and products. Someone who understands that "what you build" is just as important as "how you build it". This will be a chance to get involved in all aspects of product development, discussing product design, architecture as well as testing and coding, whilst working on market leading solutions in the programmatic video advertising space. You must be happy talking with non-technical people, discussing ideas, doing pair programming and be keen to develop your skills in all areas of product development.
Does data float your boat? Have a passion for building and analysing machine learning models? Do data pipelines that process terabytes of data sound like the right kind of challenge?
The Data Engineering team is a new team in Unruly that has come together to create market leading data products around targeted advertising. They consume and manage data in the terabyte scale from existing systems, and use the latest data engineering technology and processes to create products that directly impact users.
In this role you'll work with a highly experienced software development team, and will work with a wide range of advanced web and cloud technologies.
About the Role
Your mission will be to:
- Work alongside Product Development team members and other Unruly teams to develop cutting edge innovate data products using a combination of lean and agile development practices.
- Extend and maintain our platforms, pairing with other developers
- Be part of full team design, discovery and reflection
- Collaborate with our product experts (and others) to help decide what we should deliver next
You must have:
- Some knowledge of python based data manipulation
- Strong knowledge of SQL
- Understanding of foundational machine learning algorithms (logistic regression, SVMs, boosted decision trees, etc)
- Experience in data engineering tooling
- Experience working in a cloud based environment
You must be:
- An excellent communicator with good attention to detail, able to communicate effectively both in person and in writing
- A rapid learner, able to pick up new concepts quickly and apply them in a practical way
- Able to approach systematically diagnosing unfamiliar technical issues
- Committed to high standards in your work
You must be:
- Sociable - happy to do pair programming
- Flexible - able to adapt and align work to changing requirements and priorities
- Passionate - interested in the latest web technologies and trends
- Confident - able to clearly express your ideas in discussions
- Curious - willing and able to questions that help you learn and develop
- Change oriented - willing and able to be part of an environment that is geared towards continuous improvement
The Wow Factor
We'd (optionally) love it if you have:
- Knowledge of both structured and schema-less datastores: e.g. Postgres, Vectorwise, Vertica, Cassandra, Redis, Splunk
- Experience with:
- Reporting on large batches of data
- Building fault tolerant, performance critical systems
- Profiling and performance monitoring of data pipelines
- Experience with AWS cloud services
- Experience with the practices of Extreme Programming
- Passion for learning on a wide front - we want people who bring new perspectives to the technical organisation, either from their background or from what they are learning day-to-day
You should be passionate about helping the business gain value from the team's products, and willing to ensure that the systems are operating correctly. This will involve participating in an on-call rota to investigate and resolve critical issues affecting your team's software when they (rarely) occur out-of-hours.
We operate using a Lean approach to new software development, with frequent releases and a focus on getting minimal viable products into market as early as possible to gather incremental feedback - this forms the core of our process.
Meet Some of Unruly's Employees
EVP, Global Business Development
Ken leads global business development with a focus on two areas—developing publisher relationships and overseeing programmatic demand partnerships. As an EVP, he works on Unruly’s Executive Team.
Back to top