Commercial Director – London
WANTED: An accomplished, inspirational, Commercial Director to drive video advertising revenues from the agency buying and Client community in the UK. We are seeking a candidate who wants to grab the opportunity to take the commercial business on a new and exciting journey, and thrives in a fast paced, target driven environment. A positive and high energy force in the business will achieve great outcomes.
The UK business is going through a rapid transition from managed campaigns to programmatically bought campaigns. This has created opportunities for the team to create a position in market where the buying route is flexible. In order to be able to execute on this we need to ensure that we have the right roles in the structure, with the right training, measuring the right KPI's to deliver the best outcomes for Unruly and their customers. This means input into product development, identifying new market opportunities, determining optimal pricing to balance margin with customer/client satisfaction.
To succeed you will have an outstanding track record of creating and growing very strong partnerships with London media agencies and top clients. As Commercial Director you will articulate and finesse the Unruly value proposition to resonate in the UK marketplace and position yourself and the Unruly UK team as the thought leaders for video marketing. In addition, you will ensure our sales resources are deployed optimally at all times, that we are constantly over delivering in terms of revenues, number of customers and market profile, and that Unruly is outperforming market growth and is ahead of market trends (e.g. formats and trading mechanics).
Unruly is part of the News UK family and as such can access resources, data, marketing, client, agency development and trading teams. As Commercial Director, you will leverage these relationships to work with the wider News UK teams to best advantage. Understanding and navigating the News UK structure will enable the Commercial Director to travel quickly and affect positive outcomes.
The Commercial Director role UK is a unique opportunity for a committed leader to really make their mark. Change and increased velocity are encouraged, making decisions on working practices and structure essential, leading by example and taking the team on the journey vital. But above all, ensuring that the UK Team have clarity of vision, the right tools to be effective and the motivation to achieve greatness through their endeavours.
REPORTS TO : MD, EMEA
DIRECT REPORTS : Programmatic Lead, Commercial Lead, Agency Director x 2
LOCATION : London, Aldgate East
EMPLOYMENT TYPE : Permanent
WORKING HOURS : Full time (Monday - Friday, 9:30am - 6pm)
TRAVEL : Travel within UK & occasional trips to Europe may be required for this role
SALARY : Highly competitive, plus performance based bonus
BENEFITS: Unruly offers a full suite of world class benefits such as private health cover for you and your partner, a pension scheme, iPhone or Android phone, Cycle to Work scheme, childcare vouchers and season ticket loan.
ABOUT THE ROLE : MISSION
Your mission will be to:
- Love, Lead, Inspire and execute your plan to make the UK Commercial Team a revenue and service success inline with expectations. A key stakeholder in the EMEA leadership team and member of the Sounding Board
About the Role: Key relationships
- Managing Director, EMEA (London)
- Chief Financial Officer, London
- SVP, Global Operations Director, London
- VP, Strategy
- Programmatic Team-Global
- Trading team News UK
- MD Germany, Country Manager Nordics
- VP BD, EMEA
- Senior Demand BD, EMEA
About You: Experience
You must have:
- Built, evolved and led a successfully transitioning sales team in the UK to achieve targets
- Previously sold into an extensive network of media agencies in UK, and have current contacts within each of the major agency groups
- Successfully negotiated deals with trading teams at agency holding companies across full service and programmatic execution
- Worked within (or close to) the programmatic marketplace and be able to understand how to operate within it
- Developed a winning strategy for commercial team success
- WOW: Speaker at Industry events
About You: Skills
You must be:
- NUMERATE : Able to personally drive revenues from key agency accounts and help the sales team to meet their revenue targets
- LITERATE : Clear, consistent, persuasive and precise in both internal and external communication
- ORGANISED : Able to prioritise and deliver to very tight deadlines
- ASTUTE : You have the ability to navigate many stakeholders in multiple organisations with different goals and agendas
- RESPONSIVE : Your service levels are second to none - nothing is too much trouble for you
- TRUSTED ADVISOR : Able to coach the sales team on leveraging trading deals, thinking strategically about their patches to deliver the maximum revenue
- RESILIENT : Able to navigate international & HQ relationships within the organisation in order to maximise the potential of the centralised resources available
- OPTIMISTIC : Able to see and seize opportunity and make things happen through positive actions
About You: Behaviour
You must be:
- ENTREPRENEURIAL : You understand client challenges and are able to use Unruly's products to solve them
- FOCUSED : You LOVE being accountable! You are rigorous on making sure that the clear plans are executed correctly-and tracked! Obsessed with performance and productivity measures (and know which levers to pull to improve them)
- ACCOUNTABLE : You thrive in a target driven environment
- DRIVEN : Constantly seeking self improvement
- GREGARIOUS : You love being part of the media industry and building relationships with clients and agencies
- COMMUNICATOR : You're able to effectively communicate complex media solutions to agencies, clients and internal stakeholders who may be unfamiliar or uncomfortable with the space.
- ADAPTABLE : Able to deal confidently with a fast developing and complex industry
- RELATIONSHIP BUILDER : You build strong working relationships internally and externally
- RESPECTED : You are a positive, inspirational team leader
- CALM : You are not phased by pressure
- POSITIVE : You make positive actions and interventions and course correct as you go
- BOLD : Unafraid to challenge and make some bets based on available information
The WOW Factor
We'd love it if you:
- Have a growing network of client direct relationships
- Have negotiated and delivered client/agency specific deals of 7 figures in the UK market
- Love Salesforce!
- Have worked in a matrix structure across different geographical locations
About You: Education & Qualifications
- Honours-level degree or equivalent preferred (University of Life also counts)
- Travel within UK & occasional trips to Europe will be required for this role.
Meet Some of Unruly's Employees
EVP, Global Business Development
Ken leads global business development with a focus on two areas—developing publisher relationships and overseeing programmatic demand partnerships. As an EVP, he works on Unruly’s Executive Team.
Back to top