Who We Are
UnitedMasters is building a marketplace that connects artists, brands and fans - empowering artists to earn and grow. UnitedMasters has taken the bold step of building a music distribution service that, radically, puts artists first - disrupting the legacy music business by letting up-and-coming artists distribute their music directly to fans through streaming services while maintaining ownership of their master recording rights and up to 100% of royalties. Through the combination of UnitedMasters' music distribution platform and its deep ties to brands, UnitedMasters enables independent artists and change-makers to grow and earn unlike any other platform.
The UnitedMasters team is made up of musicians, marketers, engineers, and storytellers with backgrounds from YouTube, SoundCloud, Pandora, Facebook, Uber, Dropbox, Complex, VICE, and more. We work hand in hand with the award-winning creative teams that forge those innovative partnerships at Translation (our in-house creative advertising agency).
We are looking for a Senior Business Affairs Manager to join UnitedMasters + Translation!
What You'll Do
- Review creative materials and advise Agency teams on talent, music, insurance, copyright and intellectual property issues and advise on next steps
- Work in tandem with agency legal counsel
- Estimates for talent fees, residuals, and all other talent/music related costs for production
- Advise on union matters - SAG-AFTRA, AFM. / Track usage for large scale talent guarantees
- Work with Legal on trademark searches for branding, taglines, signage, design
- Work with Dewitt Stern to evaluate production insurance concerns
- Create and issue appropriate award documents including production contracts, insurance, licenses, talent agreements, and vendor Scope of Work "SOW"
- Review scripts, decks, rough cuts, and final creative for risk or clearance concerns
- Ensure vendors are paid on time (working with Account Mgt. & Finance)
- Closing of projects with Finance, ensuring all pertinent info is in Job Jackets & Completion Reports
- Oversee matters for other Business Managers on the team when appropriate
- Work with client partners on various projects/issues
- Work well under pressure and move with the storms of pitches and tight deadlines
- Thrive in fast paced environment
- Experience in building solid relationships with account, creative, legal, production, & finance
- Able to meet deadlines with accuracy with minimum supervision
- Strong organizational skills and high attention to detail
- Ability to solve problems with keen instincts
- Experience working on Non-Union productions
- Deep knowledge of the SAG-AFTRA Commercials Contract
- 8 + years of relevant creative agency/production/business affairs/Talent & Music experience
- 4-Year College Degree preferred
- A quick thinker, and multi-tasker
- Able to summarize and speak in layman terms
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
UnitedMasters has over 1.5 million artists on its platform and is growing rapidly. Brands like Diageo, Ally, and ESPN come to UnitedMasters to partner with these artists and play a role in moving culture forward. In the past year, UnitedMasters subscribers have grown rapidly. With $170M raised to date and valued at $550M, UnitedMasters is backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Apple, Alphabet (aka Google), and Disney amongst others. Over the last year, UnitedMasters artists have used our platform to land sync deals with major brands including the NBA, ESPN, Overtime Elite, Bose, Warner Brother Studios and in the NBA video game 2k. These deals give them additional money for their work and increase their exposure.
Salary Hiring Range: $125,000 - $145,000
Our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry, and are one part of many compensation, benefits and other reward opportunities we provide (e.g. bonus, stock options, 401(k) match, etc.)
Individual pay rate decisions are based on a number of factors, including qualifications for the role, experience level, skillset, and balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company. We expect the majority of the candidates who are offered roles at our company to fall healthily throughout the range based on these factors.
The range above is for the expectations as laid out in the job description, however we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the updated salary range will be communicated with you as a candidate.
The salary range above is for the NY/CA. As a company, we have a location based strategy, which means the salary range could be lower or higher than this if the role is hired in another location.