Short Term Disability (STD) Claim Specialist - South Portland, ME
Welcome to one of the toughest and most fulfilling ways to help people, including yourself. We offer the latest tools, most intensive training program in the industry and nearly limitless opportunities for advancement. Join us and start doing your life's best work.
Individuals in this position are responsible for managing a caseload of initial liability and ongoing Short Term Disability (STD) Claims Specialist. They will effectively and professionally utilize sound judgment, technical knowledge, communication skills, and focused resources (medical, vocational, legal, etc.) to manage claims to appropriate conclusion in accordance with applicable internal and external regulations, policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate ability in customer service issue resolution and relationship building
- Demonstrate comfort utilizing multiple computer systems / applications, including Microsoft Office products
- Appropriately apply policies and procedures to ensure successful compliance with internal and external guidelines
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher)
- Previous experience with customer service issue resolution and relationship building
- Ability to utilize multiple computer systems / applications, including Microsoft Office: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Outlook (Ability to create, edit and save documents, spreadsheets and correspondences)
- Bachelor's Degree (or higher)
- Previous experience in group and / or individual disability insurance industry
- Short Term Disability experience
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Demonstrate role model behavior regarding the core values of Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation, Performance
- Demonstrate a positive attitude
- Be accountable
- Consistently meets established productivity, schedule adherence, and quality standards
- Treat everyone with dignity and respect
- Demonstrate Open and Honest Communication
- Remain available / approachable
- Understand UnitedHealth Group's Pay For Performance culture
- Ability to make timely, confident decisions based on available facts
- Solid communication skills, including the ability to listen objectively and articulate the facts of an issue verbally and in writing
- Strong organizational skills
- Solid conflict resolution skills
- Ability to take direction; respond to requests and feedback
- Work effectively and partner with others to contribute to a team environment
- Demonstrate initiative and willingness to learn new tasks
- Motivated to work independently and remain focused on the task(s) at hand in the face of shifting obstacles to complete assigned tasks
- Ability to multitask and shift priorities quickly, professionally and positively to accommodate urgent tasks and to reach team, business area, and corporate goals
- Ability to interact professionally with all internal and external customers, including peers, members of management, members of other business areas / segments, attorneys, etc.
Careers at UnitedHealthcare Employer & Individual. We all want to make a difference with the work we do. Sometimes we're presented with an opportunity to make a difference on a scale we couldn't imagine. Here, you get that opportunity every day. As a member of one of our elite teams, you'll provide the ideas and solutions that help nearly 25 million customers live healthier lives. You'll help write the next chapter in the history of health care. And you'll find a wealth of open doors and career paths that will take you as far as you want to go. Go further. This is your life's best work.SM
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Keywords: Senior, Claims, disability, South Portland, ME, customer service
Back to top