Senior Data Engineer - Eden Prairie, MN
- Eden Prairie, MN
Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) development, storage engineering, data warehousing, data provisioning and other similar roles. Responsibilities may include Platform-as-a-Service and Cloud solution with a focus on data stores and associated eco systems. Duties may include management of design services, providing sizing and configuration assistance, ensuring strict data quality, and performing needs assessments. Analyzes current business practices, processes and procedures as well as identifying future business opportunities for leveraging data storage and retrieval system capabilities. Manages relationships with software and hardware vendors to understand the potential architectural impact of different vendor strategies and data acquisition. May design schemas, write SQL or other data markup scripting and helps to support development of Analytics and Applications that build on top of data. Selects, develops and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function.
- Provide technical leadership and build in architecture, design and engineering in modernization of legacy Data Ingestion, ETL and Database to new technologies in the Public Cloud (AWS/Azure), Big Data and API Space
- Lead the technology transformation from our legacy Data and Analytic platforms to a Big Data Cloud based Modern Software paradigm. Be innovative in solution design and development to meet the needs of the business.
- Create a common framework and repository for the development of Modern APIs available to the Optum Product Engineering Team
- Demonstrate leadership in the context of software engineering and be an evangelist for engineering best practices
- Create next generation streaming applications to use our Data as a strategic platform to grow the top line revenue
- Stay abreast of leading-edge technologies in the industry evaluating emerging software technologies
- Work collaboratively with all business areas to assess unmet/new business needs and solutions
- Encourage the growth of junior engineers on the team through skills development, mentoring and technical guidance
- Create a startup mentality to accelerate the introduction of new capabilities and transform teams
- Avid supporter of the Open Source software community
- Excellent time management, communication, decision making, and presentation skills
- Display a strong desire to achieve and attain high levels of both internal and external customer satisfaction
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- BS / BA in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of software product development experience working on commercially available software and / or healthcare platforms
- 6+ months of experience developing solutions hosted within public cloud providers such as Azure or AWS or private cloud/container based systems using Mesos, Kubernetes/OpenShift
- Experience with Data warehousing services on Azure
- Experience with Big Data technologies like HDFS, Hive, Spark, Kafka, Kubernetes, Big Data technologies like Spark, HBase, MapReduce, Storm, Flume, Sqoop, Pig, Apache Drill, Oozie, Zeppelin
- Experience in using modern software engineering and product development tools including Agile / SAFE, Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, DevOps etc.
- Strong experience of operating in a quickly changing environment and driving technological innovation to meet business requirement
- Proven track record of building relationships across cross-functional teams
- Experience building Big Data solutions on public cloud (Azure)
- Experience building data pipelines with Kafka and Kafka Streams
- Experience developing Java RESTful Services using SpringBoot
- Java/Scala development experience
- Good understanding of Microservices architecture
- Experience with Automation Frameworks Selenium WebDriver, Restassured, SOAP UI
- Ability to establish repeatable processes, best practices and implement version control software in a Cloud team environment
- Experience of developing cloud based API gateways would be highly desirable
- Experience / exposure to API integration frameworks
- Experience in the healthcare industry
Technology Careers with Optum . Information and technology have amazing power to transform the health care industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: data engineer, ETL, Azure, AWS, SQL, Mesos, Kubernetes, OpenShift, Data warehousing, cloud, big data, like HDFS, Hive, Spark, Kafka, Kubernetes, Spark, HBase, MapReduce, Storm, Flume, Sqoop, Pig, Apache Drill, Oozie, Zeppelin, Agile, SAFE, Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, DevOps, Java, RESTful, scala, microservices, Selenium WebDriver, Restassured, SOAP UI, API gateways, API frameworks, healthcare, UHG, optum, Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Back to top