RN Diabetes Educator Dallas Texas
- Dallas, TX
The RN Clinical Patient Educator is a key educational resource and advocate for patients diagnosed with chronic diseases or significant co-morbidities, their families and caregivers. This RN is responsible for providing specific disease pathophysiology, wellness and prevention information for patients in our clinics. This position interacts and collaborates with a multidisciplinary care team, including physicians, nurses, case managers, social workers and other educators, to develop educational strategies and care management interventions that will assist in maximizing patient outcomes. This RN may also communicate program outcomes to clinic and regional leadership
- Conduct classes to meet the goals and objectives of the enterprise.
- Plan, design and implement curricula utilizing established standards and evidence based information and select or create educational material to support effective teaching.
- Provide education sessions for patients and their families or caregivers in both group and 1:1 settings.
- Demonstrate a well-developed understanding of adult education learning principles, presentation skills, stages of behavioral change and group education.
- Assess learning needs and health literacy to identify patient knowledge deficits and utilize effective educational techniques.
- Evaluate effectiveness of teaching methods and adapt as needed to ensure patient understanding and success.
- Promote patient empowerment through the use of appropriate motivational interviewing techniques, supportive skills, problem-solving and self-management goal setting in a climate of learning and encouragement.
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary care team including physicians, nurses, case managers and social workers to identify and recruit appropriate patients for educational programs.
- Timely and accurate entry of data into the EMR and other applications necessary to communicate patient needs and to ensure complete documentation of patient visits and phone calls.
- Ensure all new initiatives, policies and procedures, guidelines or other necessary updates are incorporated into patient education programs.
- Solve problems by gathering and/or reviewing facts and selecting the best solution from identified alternatives. Decision making is usually based on prior practice or policy, with some interpretation.
- Conduct class preparation and presentation in an effective and efficient manner.
- Consistently demonstrate effective planning and organization by gathering and preparing all materials and supplies prior to each class or educational session.
- Seek ways to improve job efficiency and makes appropriate suggestions following proper chain of command.
- Maintain professional and organized counseling area and supplies for patient education at assigned site(s).
- Performs other duties as assigned
- You will be provisioned with appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and are required to perform this role with patients and members on site, as this is an essential function of this role
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing or Associate's Degree in Nursing with four or more years of nursing experience is required.
- RN with active and unrestricted nursing license in state of Texas or Compact State.
- Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist (CDCES) designation or must obtain certification within 3 years of hire. BLS current - if not must obtain within 90 days of hire.
- Diverse clinical experience with four or more years caring for chronically ill patients with multiple disease conditions.
- Proficient knowledge of chronic disease (diabetes, COPD, IHD, CHF) pathophysiology.
- Experience related to patient education, motivational interviewing skills and self -management goal setting.
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to travel within the market 50% to 75% of the time.
- Bilingual English/Spanish
Careers with WellMed. Our focus is simple. We're innovators in preventative health care, striving to change the face of health care for seniors. We're impacting 380,000+ lives, primarily Medicare eligible seniors in Texas and Florida, through primary and multi-specialty clinics, and contracted medical management services. We've joined Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of companies, and our mission is to help the sick become well and to help patients understand and control their health in a lifelong effort at wellness. Our providers and staff are selected for their dedication and focus on preventative, proactive care. For you, that means one incredible team and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work. SM
WellMed was founded in 1990 with a vision of being a physician-led company that could change the face of healthcare delivery for seniors. Through the WellMed Care Model, we specialize in helping our patients stay healthy by providing the care they need from doctors who care about them. We partner with multiple Medicare Advantage health plans in Texas and Florida and look forward to continuing growth.
This position requires Tuberculosis screening as well as proof of immunity to Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella, Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis through lab confirmation of immunity, documented evidence of vaccination, or a doctor's diagnosis of disease.
OptumCare is committed to creating an environment where physicians focus on what they do best: care for their patients. To do so, OptumCare provides administrative and business support services to both owned and affiliated medical practices which are part of OptumCare. Each medical practice part and their physician employees have complete authority with regards to all medical decision-making and patient care. OptumCare's support services do not interfere with or control the practice of medicine by the medical practices or any of their physicians.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: OptumCare is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
OptumCare is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: CDCES, CDE, diabetes educator, RN, registered nurse, rn educator, patient educator, spanish, bilingual, chronic conditions, BSN, COPD, CHF, dallas, tx, seniors, geriatric, medicare, cms, community health
Back to top