Principle Research Scientist - Healthcare Artificial Intelligence
- Minnetonka, MN
UnitedHealth Group's R&D efforts are driven by math, data, and clinical science, but also focus on the human connections required to understand and treat the chronic diseases that afflict nearly half of the world's population. To do so, our team tracks the latest in science, technology, and clinical care-including what we can learn from our own data. We then apply these things via research studies, clinical trials, and pilot programs that identify new ways to prevent, detect, and intercept disease for our members.
This position is intended for an early career scientist focused on innovation in healthcare research. This position is part of the computational healthcare team. At UHG R&D this team works on creative and game-changing healthcare solutions rooted in artificial intelligence, machine learning, and other computationally focused disciplines.
- Help our core team continue to develop and implement ongoing multi-year research programs to improve healthcare through AI-enabled and people-focused projects
- Keep up with the scientific literature and maintain awareness of business developments in the field. Identify emerging opportunities in specific healthcare areas; help to identify and develop strategic points of view about specific investment opportunities
- Recommend, co-design, and lead specific short- and long-term research projects, both collaboratively and independently
- Conduct internal and external pilot research to steer early decision making and build investment rational
- Build relationships with people in the company, your field, and the healthcare system at large
- Stay in close communication with our core team and your project teams
- Mentor and learn from other researchers. Provide subject-matter expertise to your teammates and to teams working on other healthcare topics
- Ensure completion of projects on time and at high quality and in compliance with the highest ethical standards for research/practice
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Doctoral degree in biomedical informatics, biostatistics, computer science, or closely-related field
- 1 or more years of postdoctoral research experience.
- Experience with artificial intelligence and machine learning in healthcare settings
- Employees are required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive VoiceResponse (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or a similar UnitedHealth Group approved symptom screener prior to entering the work site each day, in order to keep our work sites safe. Employees must comply with any state and local masking orders. In addition, when in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are expected to wear a mask in areas where physical distancing cannot be attained
- You will be asked to perform this role in an office setting or other company location
- Evidence of successful research in AI, ML, healthcare (published papers)
- Independent thinker: challenges conventional wisdom and relentlessly seeks truth
- Curious, teachable, eager to learn and develop, open to knowledge from any source
- Strong team player with excellent oral and written communication skills. Seriously
- Psychologically flexible and adaptive to change
- Demonstrated expertise in your specialty
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 6 company. We provide an environment where you're empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: R&D, Research, Scientist, Healthcare, AI, Biomedical, Minnetonka, MN, Minnesota
Back to top