Principal Software Engineer
- United States
This is a Senior Principal Software Engineering position within the Optum Payment Integrity business. This business provides software products and services to various health care payers to help them ensure that payments are being made accurately saving millions of dollars for these payers.
As a Senior Principal Software Engineering, your primary role will be to evangelize, influence and implement the technology strategy for the Payment Integrity delivery teams in the US, Ireland and India. You will focus on the biggest problems repeated across the org and construct solutions utilizing reusable components, patterns, tools. You will Influence org behaviors, through active mentorship, code reviews, brown bags, tech talks, design reviews. Additionally, you will partner with delivery teams outside the payment integrity org to uphold and negotiate common standards.
In addition to your technical responsibilities, you will partner with business delivery leadership to conceptualize solutions that meet their complex needs. You will be a primary contributor to achieving payment integrity's long-term strategic goals.
- Construct modern applications to grow Payment Integrity's top line revenue
- Conduct design and code reviews to ensure code developed meets or exceeds coding best practices guidelines, unit testing, security, scalability and maintainability guidelines
- Set automation standards and implement tooling to support/report adherence
- Identify initiatives from application and customer telemetry that result in customer metric improvement and drive adoption across portfolio
- Actively mentor team members through code reviews, brown bags, tech talks, design reviews
- Demonstrate leadership in the context of software engineering and be an evangelist for engineering best practices
- Work with delivery teams outside of their org to uphold and negotiate common standards
- Stay abreast of leading-edge technologies in the industry evaluating emerging software technologies
- Set and hold team accountable to stability and resiliency metrics
- Contribute to the design and architecture to enable secure, scalable, and maintainable software
- Create reusable components, patterns, tools and promote use by teams within the org
- Look across teams and products to find synergies and duplication. When found, work with teams to leverage or remove
- Understand security threats and patterns comprehensively and ensures adherence to all regulatory initiatives, HIPPA, PHI, PII, locational data restrictions, contractual, etc.
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
- Experience working with 2 or more of the following: continuous integration / continuous delivery tools, REST API development, serverless architecture, containerization, IaC, public / private cloud, application observability and/or messaging / stream architecture
- 1+ years experience developing solutions hosted within key major cloud providers such as Azure and AWS or private cloud using Mesos, Kubernetes/OpenShift
- 3+ years experience working with automated build, test, and deployment pipelines
- 3+ years experience working with security standards in software
- 3+ years experience working on performance tuning and scaling software
- Experience working in the healthcare industry
- Experience working in Unix/Linux environments
- Experience with Big Data technologies like Hbase, MapReduce, Storm, Flume, Sqoop, Pig, Apache Drill, Oozie, Zeppelin
- Experience developing Java RESTful Services using Spring Boot and Netflix OSS
- Good understanding of Microservices architecture
- Experience with Automation Frameworks - Selenium WebDriver, Restassured, SOAP UI
- Exposure to UI technologies like Angular and React
- Ability to communicate effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Solid understanding of engineering fundamentals: unit testing, code reviews, Agile and DevOps
Technology Careers with Optum. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the health care industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Principal Software Engineer, Eden Prairie, MN
Back to top