Primary Care Physician - Metairie, LA
- Opelousas, LA
The Primary Care Physician (PCP) is a licensed/Board Certified/Board Eligible trained professional in internal or family medicine who plays a key role as part of the clinical operations team providing direct patient care and providing assessments primarily in the ambulatory health care center setting or elsewhere as deemed necessary. It also includes the participation in clinical rounds and conferences plus in-depth documentation through written progress notes and summaries.
The PCP will be required to demonstrate the ability to function both independently and in collaboration with other health care professionals. The PCP will consult with the applicable managers and medical directors to ensure compliance with guidelines along with participating in risk and quality management programs, clinical meetings and other meetings as required. The PCP will adhere to strict departmental goals/objectives, standards of performance, regulatory compliance, quality patient care compliance, and policies and procedures.
- Assisting in the development of the plan of care in addition to providing appropriate patient/ family/significant other counseling and education.
- Ordering and interpreting appropriate laboratory and diagnostic studies
- Ordering of appropriate medication and treatments
- Referring patients for consultation when indicated i.e. dermatology, neurology, ophthalmology, endocrine, surgery, intensive care, infectious disease, hematology, psychiatry, social service, dietary, etc.
- Documentation through in-depth progress notes and summaries.
- Participates in patient care rounds and conferences.
- Communicates patient management strategies to members of the patient care team.
- Collaborates with members of the multidisciplinary team to ensure that patient management strategies are successful in meeting patient care needs.
- Recognizes situations which require the immediate attention and initiates life-saving procedures when necessary.
Scientific Foundation Competencies
- Critically analyzes data and evidence for improving clinical practice.
- Integrates knowledge from the humanities and sciences.
- Translates research and other forms of knowledge to improve practice processes and outcomes.
- Develops new practice approaches based on the integration of research, theory, and practice knowledge.
- Assumes complex and advanced leadership roles to initiate and guide change.
- Provides leadership to foster collaboration with multiple stakeholders (e.g. patients, community, integrated health care teams, and policy makers) to improve health care.
- Demonstrates leadership that uses critical and reflective thinking.
- Advocates for improved access, quality and cost effective health care.
- Advances practice through the development and implementation of innovations incorporating principles of change.
- Communicates practice knowledge effectively both orally and in writing.
- Participates in professional organizations and activities that influence health outcomes of a population focus.
- Uses best available evidence to continuously improve quality of clinical practice.
- Evaluates the relationships among quality, safety, access, and cost and their influence on health care.
- Evaluates how organizational structure, care processes, financing, marketing and policy decisions impact the quality of health care.
- Applies skills in peer review to promote a culture of excellence.
- Anticipates variations in practice and is proactive in implementing interventions to ensure quality.
Practice Inquiry Competencies:
- Provides leadership in the translation of new knowledge into practice.
- Generates knowledge from clinical practice to improve practice and patient outcomes.
- Applies clinical investigative skills to improve health outcomes.
- Leads practice inquiry, individually or in partnership with others.
- Disseminates evidence from inquiry to diverse audiences using multiple modalities.
- Analyzes clinical guidelines for individualized application into practice.
Technology and Information Literacy Competencies:
- Integrates appropriate technologies for knowledge management to improve health care.
- Coaches the patient and caregiver for positive behavioral change.
- Demonstrates information literacy skills in complex decision making.
- Contributes to the design of clinical information systems that promote safe, quality and cost effective care.
- Uses technology systems, with ongoing learning and updates, which capture data on variables for the evaluation of primary care.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the interdependence of policy and practice.
- Advocates for ethical policies that promote access, equity, quality, and cost.
- Analyzes ethical, legal, and social factors influencing policy development.
- Contributes in the development of health policy.
- Analyzes the implications of health policy across disciplines.
- Evaluates the impact of globalization on health care policy development.
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Current medical licensure in Louisiana or eligible to obtain
- New graduates will be considered
- Current state CDS and DEA number for schedule II-V controlled substances
- Successfully achieve Board certification within 2 years
- Certification in Basic Cardiac Life Support
- Minimum of one (1) year clinical experience in geriatric, adult or family practice setting
- Board certification in Internal Medicine or Family Medicine
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
- Ability to stand for long periods
- Extensive walking
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds
- Ability to bend and sit
Careers at UnitedHealthcare Medicare & Retirement. The Boomer generation is the fastest growing market segment in health care. And we are the largest business in the nation dedicated to serving their unique health and well-being needs. Up for the challenge of a lifetime? Join a team of the best and the brightest to find bold new ways to proactively improve the health and quality of life of these 9 million customers. You'll find a wealth of dynamic opportunities to grow and develop as we work together to heal and strengthen our health care system. Ready? It's time to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Physician, Primary Care, Primary Care Physician, PCP, Family Practice, Internal Medicine, Geriatrician, Medicare Advantage, Metairie, LA , Louisiana
Back to top