Phlebotomist - Glastonbury
- Marlborough, CT
Do you have compassion and a passion to help others? Transforming healthcare and millions of lives as a result starts with the values you embrace and the passion you bring to achieve your life's best work.(sm)
ProHealth Physicians, part of OptumCare
If you want to get way ahead in your career, it makes sense to be with an organization that's way ahead of the curve. Formed in 1997, ProHealth Physicians has grown to become Connecticut's leading primary care physician organization. With over 90 locations throughout the state of Connecticut, our family of primary care doctors and specialists care for more than 360,000 people statewide. In fact, ProHealth serves every county and provides roughly ten percent of the primary care delivered to patients in the state. We're leaders in thinking and in serving our communities. For instance, we're a C.M.S. approved Accountable Care Organization (ACO), covering over 30,000 Medicare patients associated with our community-based primary care providers. We're also nationally recognized as a NCQA Level III Medical Home. That kind of progressive leadership makes us perfect fit for OptumCare and UnitedHealth Group's expanding family of providers. This is a place where you can stay way ahead as you do your life's best work.(sm)
This position is in Glastonbury , CT Monday - Friday 7:30 am -11:30 am
- Greet customers appropriately. Treat all customers in a courteous manner.
- Ensures all field phlebotomy and PSC specimens are collected accurately and on time.
- Collects specimens according to established procedures.
- Responsible for completing requisitions accurately.
- Call clients to confirm handwritten orders, verify test(s) ordered, obtain accurate billing information, i.e. diagnosis codes, UPIN information, etc.
- Research test / client information utilizing lab computer system or Directory of Service.
- Label, centrifuge, split, and freeze specimens as required by test order.
- Package specimens for transport.
- Maintains required records and documentation.
- Reads, understands and complies with departmental policies, protocols and procedures: (i.e. Procedure Manuals, Safety Manual, Compliance Manual, Automobile policies and procedures, Employee Handbook, Quality Assurance Manual).
- Maintains all appropriate PSC / Phlebotomy logs.
- Assist with compilation of monthly statistics and data. Submits data on time monthly.
- Perform basic clerical duties, i.e. filing, faxing, and preparing mail. Will be required to perform electronic data entry.
- Submits accurate time and travel logs as directed by management and on time.
- Submits accurate expense forms, if applicable, on the required day.
- Demonstrates organizational commitment.
- Adheres to departmental and company code of grooming and dress code and lab coat policies, appearing neat and clean at all times.
- Reports on time to work, following attendance guidelines.
- Answers the telephone in a friendly and helpful manner, by incorporating the company name, self - identification and a helpful statement.
- Communicates appropriately with clients, patients, coworkers and the general public.
- Communicates all unresolved problems immediately to the appropriate Manager, Supervisor, Group Leader or PSR II for resolution. Remains polite and courteous at all time.
- Miscellaneous duties and responsibilities.
- Keeps work area neat and clean. Disposes of biohazard containers when scheduled.
- Help with inventories and other tasks as assigned.
- Stock supplies as needed.
- Performs other department - related clerical duties when assigned.
- Answers phone and dispatch calls when assigned.
- Participates on teams and special projects when asked.
- Additional responsibilities of PSR II.
- Ensures facilities are neat, clean and in good repair, takes appropriate action to advise Group Leader or Supervisor of required repairs and maintenance.
- Assist with periodic inventory counts, report shortages and problems to group leader or supervisor as they occur.
- Work effectively with staff employees to ensure compliance with dress code, Environmental Health and Safety & Quality Assurance requirements, customer service requirements and SOP's (Standard Operating Procedures), advising supervisor of any issues or problems as they arise. EHS & QA requirements, customer service requirements and SOP's, advising supervisor of any issues or problems as they arise.
- Communicate professionally with clients and patients to resolve or refer, and document problems, prepare problem documentation and report critical issues as they occur.
- Assist supervisors with the implementation of SOPs for phlebotomy services in accordance with Quest Diagnostics guidelines.
- With direction and guidance from supervisor, and having appropriate training guidelines, act as mentor and resource person for new employees, assisting with transition into the Patient Service Center (PSC) work environment and the familiarity with department protocols, practices and procedures.
- Assist with distribution of technical information and communications to the work group.
- Coordinate compilation of monthly statistics and data.
- Assist with the preparation of schedules for the assigned work group or PSC's.
- Travel may be required for in - office phlebotomy or to work at multiple locations.
- All other duties as assigned, within scope of the position.
- May be required to provide input to Group Leader and / or Supervisor on occasion.
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 1 year Phlebotomy experience or must have 120 clinical hrs. with minimum of 120 successful venipunctures / 25 successful skin punctures, lab orientation and didactic training including: anatomy / physiology of circulatory system, specimen collection / equipment, capillary / venipuncture techniques, blood clotting mechanism, specimen processing / handling, lab operations, isolation techniques, complications and medical lab ethics
- Medical training (medical assistant, paramedic)
- Medical terminology
- Phlebotomy certification
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make the health system work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
OptumCare is committed to creating an environment where physicians focus on what they do best: care for their patients. To do so, OptumCare provides administrative and business support services to both owned and affiliated medical practices which are part of OptumCare. Each medical practice part and their physician employees have complete authority with regards to all medical decision-making and patient care. OptumCare's support services do not interfere with or control the practice of medicine by the medical practices or any of their physicians.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: OptumCare is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
OptumCare is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment
Job keywords: Phlebotomist, part time, Glastonbury , CT, Connecticut
Back to top