PhD Data Science Intern - Minnetonka, MN
UnitedHealth Group is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
We are seeking PhD candidates for data science internship opportunities. Under the supervision of our current data science team you will drive new insights and lead research efforts to develop innovative assets for the healthcare delivery system. You will work closely with your mentor and expert domain scientists to identify appropriate research questions and translate them into actionable analysis plans. You will apply advanced statistical and machine learning methodologies in support of novel products for the healthcare system.
- Implement statistical and/or machine learning approaches to support research efforts
- Document research findings thoroughly and maintain well organized code on github
- Collaborate within cross-disciplinary research teams including business-facing leaders and expert domain scientists
- Provide recommendations and guidance based on insights gleaned from data
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing to a range of audiences
- Leverage analytics and challenge the status quo while maintaining a high attention to detail
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Pursuing PhD degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Mathematics, or related field
- Experience with inferential statistics and predictive modeling
- Experience applying a broad range of statistical, mathematical, or computational approaches using data to solve problems
- Proficiency in model-building language such as R or Python
- Experience translating research questions or business requirements into actionable work
- Working knowledge of relational databases and database structures
- Expected graduation date of 2021
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 6 company. We provide an environment where you're empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Back to top