Optum Operations Internship Program - Payment Integrity - Maryland
Optum is a thriving member of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, and our teams create solutions that make health care work better for everyone. You'll have the chance to join a team of smart and talented people who share the same values. We believe we can accelerate learning and develop the talent of tomorrow's leaders. Join Fortune's #1 ranked "World's Most Admired Companies" in the insurance and manage care sector.
Our Optum Operations Summer Internship Program is designed to provide undergraduate and graduate students a unique opportunity to become familiar with the organization and gain meaningful work experience within our Payment Integrity business. During the summer, we focus on your training and professional development so you'll be prepared to take your career to the next level. You will develop a wide range of practical and technical job skills, further develop leadership and communication skills, and develop a broad professional network within the organization. You will have the ability to make meaning contributions to the company and help people live healthier lives. Over the course of 10 weeks you can expect the following:
- On-the-job experience: Working as part of a high-performing team in your business group is how you will gain in-depth experience as an intern. You will begin to build your analytical and leadership skills by executing key messaging to internal and external stakeholders.
- Professional Support: You will be matched with a mentor & buddy, available to answer your questions, help you through challenging situations, and provide feedback throughout the duration of the summer
- Professional Development: Over the course of the summer you will get professional training to help build on your current skills and develop additional competencies.
- Organized networking activities: Our social responsibility mission is helping build healthier communities. We promote community involvement and networking with other interns across the United Health Group family.
Payment Integrity Operations consists of over 7,000 employees worldwide. You'll be exposed to Payment Integrity Operations top executional priorities which will utilize your strategic planning, critical thinking, global mindset, program and project management skills. Highly critical initiatives may include: Payment Integrity Evolution, Artificial Intelligence & Analytics and improving Net Promoter Score (NPS) to name a few.
- Assimilate data to create SQL logic to stand up new programs
- Develop, implement and support short and long term operational /strategic business solutions through research and analysis of data and business processes
- Conduct research studies that may include collecting, analyzing, trending and presenting data and recommendations to management to support short and long term strategic business activities through analysis
- Identify and analyze applicable source data (e.g., internal/external data feeds, systems, databases, "sources of truth")
- Create, develop, enhance, integrate front end reporting / data warehouses / data marts and/or develop data mining analyses to support business decisions
- Apply data analytics to reporting to deliver more than just the data
- Diagnose and support process improvement opportunities and develop solutions using principles of process excellence and related tools
- Organize, sort and filter data in order to distinguish patterns and recognize trends
- Develop and maintain data preparation and validation routines to support data mining and has experience in creating complex data mining algorithms
- Collaborate with operations, process, experience and technology teams to define and develop data deliverables and develop solutions that are scalable and reusable across the organization
- Create written and oral communication materials that effectively summarize findings, support fact - based recommendations and provides appropriate detail to substantiate conclusions for business review and planning
- Master's degree candidate with an expected graduation in December, 2019 - May/June 2020
- Minimum 3.00 cumulative GPS
- Intermediate level of proficiency working with MS Excel including formulas, calculations, charts, graphs, pivot tables, etc.
- 2+ years of experience SQL development with PL-SQL Developer, SSMS, SAS, TOAD, or related
- Experience with Tableau, SSRS, or related platforms
- Experience with Java, Python, VBA, or related language
- Relevant work experience including but not limited to: finance, operations, healthcare, and/or information technology
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- A high level of initiative, accountability, and attention to detail
- Ability to quickly understand complex business issues and make strategic decisions
- Thrive in team-based culture and fast changing global environment
- Strong organizational skills, ability to multitask, and work in a deadline-driven environment
- Ability to navigate a complex matrix organization
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Optum Operations Internship Program, Payment Integrity, Maryland, MD
Back to top