Health Information Management Director- Marian Regional Medical Center - Santa Maria, CA
- Santa Maria, CA
Based out of Marian Regional Medical Center in Santa Maria, CA, The HIM Director will oversee HIM Operation and Coding for 3 hospitals along the Central Coast including Marian Regional Medical Center, Arroyo Grande Community Hospital, and French Hospital Medical Center. The incumbent will visit Arroyo Grande and French as needed. This role is responsible for effectively leading and directing the work of assigned staff within the parameters of designated performance standards and metrics. The HIM Director is expected to motivate staff to achieve the highest levels of customer satisfaction and to meet the organization goals for customer service and financial performance. This position is key in delivering critical feedback and coaching to facility-based leadership, consistently improving the patient, employee and client experience. This position is directly accountable for meeting performance metrics, key performance indicators established by both the client and Optum 360 to ensure accurate and timely patient health information management and coding. This role is also responsible for creating a patient centric culture while maintaining strong operational metrics and being financially fiscal.
The HIM Director interacts with other departments within the assigned Client sites and serves as a representative of the O360 HIM Operations department. The incumbent attends managerial meetings as required and supports the core values of Optum360, which is an integral part of this position.
The HIM Director drives continuous improvements and tracks, monitors and trends performance to improve business objectives and to disrupt the status quo in order to exceed Service Level Agreement commitments. This positon must maintain strong client relationships and represent Optum 360 in all aspects of its values. This HIM Director will serve as a conduit to drive employee engagement, set and balance expectations and reward and recognize winning performance through accountability, performance management, and strong leadership.
Although this position is primarily focused upon the provision of service at the hospitals, position has frequent contact with the Regional HIM Directors, as well as facility-based clinical and administrative leadership.
- Provides system level oversight for the development of processes and initiatives designed to improve Revenue Cycle performance in assigned areas which includes:
- SLA and MSA Compliance
- Audit Follow-up and Compliance
- Client Liaison (i.e., Relationship development, program coordination)
- Client/Customer Engagement
- Lead and monitors targeted customer engagement improvement initiatives
- Collaborates with and actively coach HIM/Coding leaders, managers, and frontline staff to implement evidence-based strategies to improve the client/customer experience
- Monitors and evaluates the results of various service / satisfaction surveys. Maintains reporting system including aggregation, correlation, and analysis of data to identify opportunities for operational improvements
- Evaluates progress, synthesizes feedback, and identifies barriers to success; collaborates with HIM/Coding senior leadership and client leaders to develop and implement interventions to mitigate / remove barriers and achieve positive experience goals
- Provides administrative oversight for related HIM/Coding initiatives
- Communications including but not limited to: scheduling and conducting regular individual, mgmt. and department meetings for the purposes of disseminating information, performance feedback and development.
- Department Status Report Compilation
- Other duties as assigned
- Provides system level oversight for Optum360 client improvement programs and initiatives related to assigned HIM/Coding activities, working within the functional HIM/Coding and Client leadership, as warranted.
- Effectively participates in HIM/Coding Quality Assurance, Patient Satisfaction, Client Satisfaction, Employee Engagement and Process Improvement activities; ensuring associate understanding and commitment, as well as expected process improvement outcomes.
- Leads by example: promotes teamwork and operational relationships by fostering a positive, transparent and focused working environment which achieves maximum results.
- Maintains and demonstrates expert knowledge of the application of HIM/Coding processes and best practices; drives the integration of Optum360 HIM/Coding related business objectives within the client environment.
- Knows, understands, incorporates, and demonstrates the Optum360 Mission, Vision, and Values in behaviors, practices, and decisions.
- Serves in a leadership role and promotes positive Human Capital Management skills
- Provides leadership for departmental services through collaboration with customers, employees, physicians, clinics, other Optum360 / client departments and services, vendors, etc. Scope of job duties, include and are not limited to:
- Educates client and organizational associates regarding assigned HIM/Coding requirements
- Functions as a consultant to Regional and facility-based leadership, physicians, and others regarding assigned performance guidelines and standards for HIM/Coding services
- Prepares required reports using statistically sound information, displaying content in easily understandable format; escalates to the Regional Director any unfavorable trends.
- Demonstrates the competencies necessary to influence others' behaviors toward a common dedication to the Optum360's mission, goals, and objectives
- Participates in local, regional and national health care revenue activities and professionally represents Optum360 at these functions
- Subject Matter Expert of applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations, Optum360's Compliance, Standards of Conduct, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical, and professional behavior.
- Bachelor's or Associate's Degree in HIM or related field required
- 5+ years of progressive experience in an Acute Care Facility HIM and/or Coding Department overseeing one or more functional areas of: HIM, Coding, or other management functions related to revenue cycle activities
- 3+ years in leadership/management role with experience in the management of HIM coding along with operational and administrative staff.
- RHIT or RHIA certification required
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, Project, PowerPoint and SharePoint
- Proficiency in with the major HIM and/or Coding technologies currently in use, and/or other "like" systems
- Operational knowledge of Federal and State regulations pertaining to patient admissions, as well as standards from regulatory agencies and accrediting organizations (DHS, HCFA, OSHA, TJC).
- Experience leading in a complex, multi-site environment
- Master's Degree preferred.
- Experience leading or participating in HIM and/or Coding-related IT and/or Contact Center program implementation preferred
Other Skills / Experience:
- Excellent organizational skills required (ability to multi-task, produce rapid turnaround, and effectively manage multiple projects)
- Exemplary level leadership and business driver skills (ability to make hard decisions focusing upon operational goals and business requirements)
- Exemplary level ability to influence change and serve as primary change agent
- Demonstrated client service/account management orientation
- Strong program management skills with the ability to lead and manage multiple, concurrent running projects, prioritize tasks and adapt to frequent changes in departmental priorities. Ability to recognize necessary changes in priority of tasks and allocation of resources, and bring them to the attention of Optum360 leadership, as required. Demonstrated knowledge of process improvement techniques are essential to success, as is the ability to be a self-starter and work independently to move projects successfully forward.
- Ability to work with a variety of individuals in executive, managerial and staff level positions. The incumbent frequently interacts with staff at the Corporate/National, Regional and Local organizations. May also interact with external parties, such as financial auditors, third party payer auditors, consultants, and various hospital associations.
- Must be comfortable operating in a collaborative, shared leadership environment that encourages change engagement and participation, and open dialogue. Ability to work within the organization at all levels utilizing a very "hands-on" approach to creating value and buy-ins as the lead change facilitator.
- Ability to attract, develop, deploy and retain a world class revenue cycle team, capable of performing as a team and of evolving with the organization's vision and with cutting edge technologies.
- Must possess a personal presence that is characterized by a sense of honesty, integrity, and caring with the ability to inspire and motivate others to promote the philosophy, mission, vision, goals, and values of Optum360 and our client organization(s).
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world?s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work. SM
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Meet Some of UnitedHealth Group's Employees
Jessica D.Compassion Manager
Jessica studies how compassion fits into health care and trains employees on ways to treat UnitedHealth Group members with empathy and understanding.
Back to top