Director, Procurement - Walnut Creek, CA
- Walnut Creek, CA
No industry is moving faster than health care. And no organization is better positioned to lead health care forward. We need attention to every detail with an eye for the points no one has considered. The rewards for performance are significant. You'll help improve the health of millions. And you'll do your life's best work.(sm)
As the Director of Procurement your primary responsibility will be to lead and manage solution development for the long-term success of our commercial provider organization. This involves assessing the current and future state vendor and supply chain management landscape to scope and achieve financial goals for a multi-million and multi-year program. The Director of Supply Chain Purchasing and Vendor Management is responsible for managing full category scope, including P&L performance and end-to-end vendor management, which requires development of new strategic vendor relationships, driving negotiations, managing growth levers and ensuring paramount operational and logistical performance. You will interact with and lead discussions with client C-Suite executives. You will provide strong leadership, clear priorities and direction to vendor management and purchasing teams, all in the best interest of a world-class client experience, culminating in execution of Optum-client provider agreements. The services are part of a broad, highly visible, and innovative partnership between Optum and the client.
Ideal candidates will ultimately balance vendor management responsibilities, while also setting and delivering a vision for new programs and high impact projects. The candidate must work effectively with their cross-functional counterparts in finance, IT, operations, compliance and legal. The successful candidate must be passionate about driving improvements in health care technology through strategic vendor management, bending the provider cost curve and effective at working in a fast-paced and complex environment as well as confident and collaborative in their interactions with senior executives, and business partners. Critical to this role is the ability to build and maintain relationships at all levels, with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Oversee vendor elements of the contract agreement that affect provider technology, operations and supply chain management, including strategic targets and outcomes, and ensure alignment with overall Optum-client vendor and purchasing strategy
- Participate in the creation and refinement of technology, operations and purchasing business roadmaps and architecture strategies with vendor management solutions
- Partner with all parts of Optum to develop, deliver and support high quality outsource vendor and supply chain management services
Partner with Optum and client leaders to drive toward technology operational modernization, rationalization and efficiency plans supported by vendor management services
- Lead transition planning and hand-offs from solutioning to vendor contracting phase to delivery phase as Optum assumes management of client vendor and purchasing services, assuring that contract commitments, requirements and expectations are established within the vendor service delivery program
- Communicate with and provide to stakeholders (e.g., client, business partner, vendors, finance, attorneys) IT and purchasing vendor contractual requirements needed to drive total cost of care for the client
- Directly manage supply chain purchasing team, drive improved performance, retain talent to achieve strategic goals, and provide regular feedback on performance and competencies
- Review and assimilate client vendor management and purchasing operational, technical and financial performance information in order to determine client overall level of capability and maturity, make optimization recommendations, and identify opportunities for innovative IT, business and Purchasing vendor initiatives and performance improvement
- Build collaborative relationships across all delivery and support teams across the broad managed services partnership to drive overall performance for the client and for Optum
- Drive a culture of quality and client loyalty (high Net Promoter Scores)
- Manage internal Optum budget and P / L targets in context of successful client delivery
- Participate in growth and business development activities related to Optum outsourced provider client opportunities
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Undergraduate degree
- 10+ years of health care provider vendor leadership and provider supply chain management experience
- 10+ years of experience managing teams, including managing leaders
- 5+ years of experience leading and delivering a large, complex managed services delivery agreement (contract obligations), including oversight of strategy / technical roadmap, financials / budget, contract deliverables, relationships, and vendor management
- Previous consulting / client facing engagement including vendor and purchasing management and performance related management
- Experience deploying and supporting highly scalable purchasing and IT vendor management solutions
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or a similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. When in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are required to wear a mask in common areas. In addition, employees must comply with any state and local masking orders
- Graduate degree in related field (MBA, Information Technology, Supply Chain Management, Management Engineering, etc.)
- Experience with complex managed vendor, purchasing and outsourced services delivery engagements
In-depth knowledge of vendor management and provider supply chain management model and operations
- Experience working in the health care provider industry
- Previous Budgetary P&L accountability preferably in excess of $30M
- Excellent program and client relationship management skills, demonstrated through strong written and oral communication
- Experience building relationships cross-functionally and leading toward common goals
- Strong influencing, problem solving and negotiation skills
- Proven leader with demonstrated ability to confidently drive forward business strategy and performance
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Procurement, Director, Healthcare, UnitedHealth Group, Walnut Creek, CA, California
Back to top