Director Optum at Home Affordability
- Eden Prairie, MN
The Optum at Home (OAH) Director, Affordability is responsible for the development and execution of cross-functional medical expense leadership with primary responsibility in identifying and implementing affordability strategies that result in measurable medical cost savings for the assigned market(s). Savings would be achieved through a variety of methods, including leveraging and collaborating with Product, Clinical, Network, Operations, Sales and other enterprise resources to maximize savings. This role requires working in a highly matrixed environment with a strong bias towards strategic thinking, measurement, action, and delivering results.
- Medical Cost Leadership
- Track and report on key medical expense metrics
- Maintaining clear lines of communication with all matrix partners to ensure effective identification & implementation of national, regional and local priorities
- In conjunction with Finance assist in medical expense and metric goal setting
- Engaging with external stake holder to design solutions (provider, member, employers)
Working in partnership with other UHC stakeholders to ensure success of key performance-based contracted providers through identification and coordination of viable initiatives and programs
- Attaining a deep understanding of specific market nuances & represents assigned market interests driving performance of project teams across enterprise
- Acting as a trusted strategic leader and thought partner to product, clinical, HCE and finance leadership on affordability management
- Affordability Management:
- Setting up, analyzing, and managing trend reviews with HCE and affordability meetings
- Driving affordability process, including (in process order, not by priority):
- Aiding in identification of local affordability needs and opportunities
- Challenging clinical and health plan leadership to consider new/different affordability opportunities & implementation strategies
- Working closely with Optum Finance & HCE to ensure rigorous, reliable processes for validation, measurement and forecasting of opportunities and results
- Prioritizing affordability pipeline based on strategic and financial assessment
- Converting meeting follow-ups and pipeline initiatives into data-driven action plans
- Ensuring execution of strategic action plan while tracking measurable outcomes
- Providing regular reporting and explanation of affordability results for the market
- Assist with HCE in estimating initial and final initiative medical expense value
- Bachelor's Degree (or higher)
- Experience in managing and driving affordability initiatives to drive medical expenses to appropriate levels
- 5+ years of working experience within healthcare operations, risk-bearing products, clinical services, network, products and benefits
- Experience with developing strategic objectives and translating into action plans and lead/motivate teams to execute plans effectively; flexibility to adapt and change direction as needed.
- Experience working within a cross-functional capacity and navigating a matrix organization
- Intermediate skills with PC based software programs and systems required (Excel, PowerPoint).
- Willing and able to travel up to 10%
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Affordability
Back to top