Director Corporate Strategy
- Eden Prairie, MN
Transforming health care for everyone takes a huge effort. But we never said major impact was easy. At UnitedHealthcare, We are working to create a system that is connected, aligned and more affordable for all involved. One that delivers high quality care, responsive to the needs of each person and the communities in which they live. And as part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, we have the support and resources of a Fortune 6 industry leader to do so. As a Director of Strategic Initiatives, you'll lead mission critical initiatives that drive the development of national policy for a significant population. You'll develop competitive products that deliver more value and improved outcomes and will help transform the health care industry.
The Director, Corporate Strategy is a seasoned business strategist and advisor with responsibility for partnering with business unit executives to provide thought leadership, strategic direction, market analysis, partnership sourcing and support to guide growth and operational excellence. This person must convince leaders and operators of his / her value, earn their trust and time, and work collaboratively to build actionable strategies.
The Director, Corporate Strategy will work with executive and product leadership to frame the market, identify market opportunities, build analytics-based strategic plans, develop wide-ranging partnership processes and drive actionable decisions. In order to do this, the Director, Strategy will have a strong understanding of competitive dynamics, customer needs, regulatory impacts, market trajectory, and Optum capabilities. In addition, the Director, Corporate Strategy will "tell the story" throughout the organization to gain support for the strategy and fuel execution planning. The Director, Corporate Strategy will also lead external discussions, lead analysis, make connections across the Optum and UHG and support broader corporate development activity.
- Lead and support cross-Optum initiatives spanning growth strategy, operational excellence and client / external party partnerships by directly scoping, initiating, planning, executing, controlling and closing strategy projects
- Support large, complex projects to achieve key business objectives; working across Optum, UnitedHealth Group and external parties as needed
- Deliver data-driven insights to support actionable strategic direction, corporate prioritization, corporate development and strategy communication (Executive management, Board, investors, company)
- Analyze industry trends, customer needs, competitive threats, expansion opportunities and internal performance
- Solve unique and complex problems requiring integrated solutions with broad impact on the business
- Identify external strategic partnership opportunities (or collaborate with business leads who have identified) and lead external partner discussions, working towards development of partnership deal that enhances Optum's overall value proposition
- Lead in a team environment both within the Corporate Strategy & Business Acceleration team and with business unit partners / customers
- Nurture and develop strong relationships across Optum and UnitedHealth
- Support the corporate planning process and ad hoc projects for executives, corporate requests, and special events
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- BA/BS degree
- 3+ years of Healthcare experience
- 3+ years of experience directly and/or indirectly managing and delivering strategy consulting / advisory services at the corporate level
- 3+ years of experience developing market overviews, understanding competitive positioning, analyzing market trends, and understanding customer needs
- Ability to travel 30% (project dependent)
- Experience in analytics
- Located in Eden Prairie MN, New York, NY, Boston, MA or Washington, DC
- Employees are required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or a similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener prior to entering the work site each day, in order to keep our work sites safe. Employees must comply with any state and local masking orders. In addition, when in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are expected to wear a mask in areas where physical distancing cannot be attained.
- You will be asked to perform this role in an office setting or other company location
- MBA from top tier program
- Operational experience (operations, product development, marketing, finance, sales, etc.)
- 2+ years of post-MBA experience at a leading strategy consulting firm
At UnitedHealthcare, we're addressing the social drivers of health - and helping to change the broader circumstances of members' lives - providing greater stability, access, and wellbeing that can allow members to rise out of poverty. What's more important than that? So join us and lead initiatives to influence state or national policy and do your life's best work.(sm)
UnitedHealth Group is working to create the health care system of tomorrow.
Already Fortune 6, we are totally focused on innovation and change. We work a little harder. We aim a little higher. We expect more from ourselves and each other. And at the end of the day, we're doing a lot of good.
Through our family of businesses and a lot of inspired individuals, we're building a high-performance health care system that works better for more people in more ways than ever. Now we're looking to reinforce our team with people who are decisive, brilliant - and built for speed.
Come to UnitedHealth Group, and share your ideas and your passion for doing more. We have roles that will fit your skills and knowledge. We have diverse opportunities that will fit your dreams.
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $94,500 to $171,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. As of the date of this posting, In addition to your salary, UHG offers the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable eligibility requirements: Health, dental, and vision plans; wellness program; flexible spending accounts; paid parking or public transportation costs; 401(k) retirement plan; employee stock purchase plan; life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance; business travel accident insurance; Employee Assistance Program; PTO; and employee-paid critical illness and accident insurance.
For more information on our Internal Job Posting Policy, click here.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Director Corporate Strategy, Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota, Boston, MA, Massachusetts, Washington, DC
Back to top