Senior Scientist - Regulatory Affairs Leader, USA - Foods & Refreshment
The Foods & Refreshment categories are very important to Unilever (approx. $5 Billion in TO in North America). The Categories drive major innovation and renovation programs to ensure that markets capitalize on growth opportunities and these require appropriate regulatory support and advocacy efforts.
Regulatory Affairs (RA) is a Unilever Capability that consists of approximately 220 RA professionals around the globe, operating in innovation, advocacy and compliance roles at global, regional or local levels. The role of RA is to understand and influence the development and implementation of rules and regulations related to all product groups where Unilever is active. Regulatory issues inherently have many aspects: scientific, technical, food law, enforcement, public affairs and external relations. RA operates at these interfaces and combines expertise on legislation with relevant knowledge of products and processes.
The job holder (JH) is the North American Regulatory Affairs Leader (WL1) delivering regulatory support to Beverages, Ice Cream, Dressings, Food Solutions & Savory categories and reports to the North American Sr RA Manager Foods & Refreshment. The role focuses primarily on innovation/renovation projects and support on various advocacy and issue management efforts. The JH will be based in Englewood Cliffs, NJ (USA).
Advice is given to TPLs on various regulatory topics and required technical substantiation of product claims. To support innovation and build compliance on all projects, excellent working relations are needed with the GDCs, Technical Project Leaders (TPLs), country/Cluster Regulatory Affairs managers, the Global Product Compliance Team (GPC). Outside R&D the JH should work smoothly with Marketing, Legal, Supply Chain and External Affairs.
The JH is also expected to become expert on one or more Regulatory topics to handle detailed questions on such topic(s).
Responsibilities specific to the role:
• Supports the Cluster RA Manager in providing regulatory input to the category innovation projects (PRE-LOCK)
• Supports to the R&D programs on innovation projects,
• Provides a regulatory review and assessments for the countries in which the product is to be marketed (pre-lock)
• Is expert on regulatory developments which could affect the (category) products in the cluster and ensures that these developments are incorporated into the cluster (innovation)plans
• Can be the issue leader of topics related to own expertise and cluster
• Contributes to Category RA network/represents cluster
• Monitors what going on in markets /challenges in/out
• Gives input for regulatory summaries on cluster specific areas as in put for cluster/category summaries
• Contributes to information on issues, issue management, and regulatory news of the cluster within R&D
• Translates regulation (relevant for cluster) into set of rules (RA rule engine)
• Contributes to the management of Regulatory Affairs for a selected area/category in the cluster
• Provides regulatory updates on regulations affecting the cluster/category on the specific area/category, gives training (interprets legislation
• Contributes to claims approval process (through claims forum for regional/local claims
• Provide regulatory support to the management of relevant issues/opportunities in the cluster (and/or input country)
• Anticipates regulatory challenges for the future which could drive the external influencing agenda for the cluster as input for the advocacy agenda, innovation plans (=identify changes)
• Performs regulatory assessments for the cluster (e.g. local jewels) up to validated (local) regulatory reports, participates in stress tests
• May work with consultants, external RA experts and 3rd parties related to innovation projects of the cluster.
Critical Success Factors of the Job
What You'll Need To Succeed
• Passion for High Performance
• Personal Mastery
At least Basic appreciation in:
• Food Legislation and Regulations
• Product Innovation in Foods.
(framework, funnel process)
• Foods technology, incl. production processes
• Communication skills.
• >2 years-experience in FMCG company or trade association
• Degree in relevant subject (Food Science/Technology, Biological Sciences, Regulatory Affairs,)
• Product development experience
• Must have a proven ability to quickly develop any of the Key skills to Working Knowledge or higher.
• Existing foods regulatory affairs knowledge / experience would be a distinct advantage
• Must have good communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Must be a good team player with agility to respond quickly on any request
• Must show ability to work in a multi-functional, multi-cultural environment
• Must be fluent in English
What We Can Offer You
Culture for Growth | Top Notch Employee Health & Well Being Benefits | Every Voice Matters | Global Reach | Life at Unilever | Careers with Purpose | World Class Career Development Programs | Check Out Our Space | Focus On Sustainability
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities.
Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination under Federal law. For more information, please see EEO is the Law.
Back to top