Senior Product Development Technologist
Salary: Circa £31,000
MAIN JOB PURPOSE:
Unilever Ice cream business in Europe is large and highly successful. The EU Ice Cream RDC is the driving force behind the creation and delivery of benefit-led, innovative ice cream products across our world-renowned global (e.g. Magnum, CdO, Cornetto, Walls), premium (e.g. B&J, GROM) and regional (e.g. Cremissimo, Ingman, Evga, Cucciolone) brands. The team embrace agile innovation and are fully-connected to countries and markets together with R&D Local Deploy teams to land in the markets global, regional and local-for-local projects.
The business reaches across all Ice Cream experiences in two broad platforms: Desserts – familiar in-home tubs, pints and monoportions as well as scooping OOH, and Impulse – global and local classics and kid’s favourites, and the EU IC RDC organisation design reflects this.
In this role you will lead product development within Desserts and/or Impulse platform and ensure project delivery in close partnership across functions (Marketing; Supply Chain; Procurement) as well as key (external) partners and suppliers (e.g. 3PM, Flavour and Ingredients suppliers). You will bring your passion for Ice cream, and enthusiasm to know consumer and customer needs and trends and use this to shape and deliver brilliant, sustainable, product experiences.
- To drive creative product design and delivery to market on time
- To lead technical delivery (TPL) of regional projects on-time in full (OTIF), including: product concepts; formulation design and specification; laboratory and Pilot Plant prototypes; cost-, quality-assessments; USLP; ingredient list; legislation compliance and claims.
- To bring to life innovation in the market place through insight-driven product experience and knowledge-based selling toolkits
- Manage and lead supplier relationships in the development of new products/ change of materials, working close with METs and Procurement
- Lead and manage pilot plant trials and prototype/product development to support project technical evaluation including Market Research
- Organize and manage industrial trials in the relevant Sourcing Units/3PM
- Engage cross-functional teams, including: Marketing, Supply Chain, Procurement
- Integrate with global Discover and Design teams to embed formulation toolbox and best practice
- Provide Project updates ahead of the monthly Platform (PTM) and Cluster Category Leadership Team (CCLT) meetings
- Responsible for the timely R&D input into the required IPM documentation and other relevant systems.
- Deep knowledge and passion for creative food product design and development
- Excellent project management and communication skills
- Attention to detail especially in experimentation, data recording and analysis
- Knowledge and understanding of consumers and their market
- University degree/diploma or equivalent experience in food science or product development
- Proven experience in the food industry, especially in ice cream product formulation and design
- Proven experience of leading (TPL) delivery of creative food and/or ice cream products to market.
- Occasional short business trips within Europe may be required (4-6 trips per year)
All candidate applications are reviewed in accordance with the criteria outlined for the job role. Please note that the closing date for the receipt of applications is 24th February 2017
Candidates who have applied online can track their application through the candidate tracking link or, if you have any additional queries, you may contact the Recruitment hotline number on 0800 0284390.
Meet Some of Unilever's Employees
Scientist, Research & Development, Product Development
As part of the Global Design Team at Unilever in the men’s cleansing category, Sean spends his days formulating body washes for customers around the world.
Back to top