JOB TITLE: R&D Process Development Technologist / Assistant Manager (Deodorants)
LOCATION: Leeds Factory
Unilever is one of the world's leading suppliers of Food, Home and Personal Care products with sales in over 190 countries and reaching 2 billion consumers a day. Unilever has more than 400 brands found in homes around the world, including Persil, Dove, Knorr, Domestos, Hellmann's, Lipton, Wall's, PG Tips, Ben & Jerry's, Marmite, Magnum and Lynx. Faced with the challenge of climate change and the need for human development, we want to move towards a world where everyone can live well and within the natural limits of the planet. That's why our purpose is 'to make sustainable living commonplace"
We are a global team who innovate boldly to create the products and experiences that improve people's health, confidence and well being and positively impact the health of the planet. This in turn drives sustainable, profitable growth for Unilever and our much-loved brands.
We are the innovators, scientists, engineers, chefs, technologists, regulatory experts and data scientists, bringing to life our ambitions, without being afraid to challenge our own thinking to get there.
We are award-winning leaders recognized for our expertise, celebrating the diversity and creativity in each and every one of us that makes our innovations come to life.
We are Unilever R&D.
Deodorants is a key category for Unilever with big brands like Lynx, Sure and Dove in UK. The Global Deo R&D Centre in Leeds delivers outstanding product innovation and technology for the category.
The Process Development team scales the product up to factory scale and ensures it is supported by the best process manufacturing technology and equipment to deliver outstanding quality to the consumer.
The role is based in the Europe R&D team in Leeds and focuses on delivering right first-time processing of new or modified deo aerosols, roll-ons, and sticks into Unilever and 3rd party factories, qualification of processing & filling at external 3rd parties, and technical support for quality and supply chain activities.
- A thorough understanding of the product & process technology and factory making and filling capability is required.
- A key focus is leading factory processing & filling trials and interfacing with Global R&D, factory, engineering, quality, planning and external 3rd party teams.
- Demonstrate expert knowledge in a Process Technology, Characterisation or Product type, data capture & analysis.
- Lead process development work on several innovation projects running in parallel, creatively resolving formulation & processing issues for scale-up to factory.
- Lead Main Plant Trials, interpreting & reporting with recommendations.
- Clear communication & interfacing with external partners, supply chain and other functions.
- Lead a significant amount of Process Development work on new Deodorant innovations, delivering to project timings.
- Design and own experimental plan & write technical reports for Global distribution.
- Use expert Formulation/ Process & Sourcing Unit knowledge to scientifically scale up, problem solve and predict outcomes.
- Coordinate creation of project management technical documentation by gathering cross-functional input. Ensure project risks are clearly identified and highlighted within the project team. Take initiative to update stakeholders when required. Input process and formulation information to decision gate documents.
- Actively seek out new process routes, technologies & lead discussions with external suppliers being cognisant of specific confidentiality agreements.
- Responsible for the Safety in Manufacturing & Supply, and Process Safety of the given Project/ Applicator in consultation with Line Manager.
- Lead Main Plant Trials through liaison with Regional, Global & 3rd Party Sourcing Units.
- As a recognised expert advise & recommend solutions to the manufacturing supply chain. Regularly advise external 3rd party contractors, and material / equipment suppliers.
- Define & recommend process specification with approval of Process Development Manager.
- Apply relevant process / data analysis digital tools including identification and development of new digital tools to optimize process innovation and scale up.
- Focus on building technical expertise within Process & Formulation teams using coaching & influencing skills.
- Ensure data rigour through the Unilever specification and process management databases, using this data to support decisions and reduce risk within project networks.
- Responsible for ensuring the Pilot Plant operates to a world class standard, may include e.g. CoSHH / SOPs / risk assessments, raising of Capital Expenditure requests for lab/pilot plant equipment, coaching of more junior team members, supporting recruitment of placement students.
Education : Graduate Calibre - degree in Science/Engineering with chemistry background or equivalent experience in capability field.
- Experience working in Factory Processing, pilot plant or Laboratory environments.
- Focused experience in a particular field (e.g. Rheology, Processing or formulation technology)
- Experience in Aerosols / emulsion roll-ons technology is particularly welcome.
- Experience of working with factories / 3rd parties to implement new / modified products and run factory trials.
Not only do we offer a competitive salary, but also our pension scheme, an annual bonus, a free gym, a staff shop and shares. You'll get the opportunity to work directly with our renowned and exciting brands in a flexible and agile environment. We strive to achieve a family-friendly culture and to, above all, create possibilities for all.
Diversity at Unilever is about inclusion, embracing differences, creating possibilities and growing together for better business performance. We embrace diversity in our workforce. This means giving full and fair consideration to all applicants and continuing development of all employees regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy and maternity.
Cyber criminals advertise fake job adverts with prestigious employers as a way of stealing information or even defrauding individuals out of money.
In the most sophisticated cases, they will set up fake websites, which have a similar address to companies like Unilever. They even conduct fake telephone interviews and then offer candidates a role with the proviso they pay a fee for background checks or to cover work visa costs. These types of attacks are becoming more common as more people are looking for employment in the economic climate.
How is Unilever tackling this?
Many of Unilever's recruitment sites publish a warning to candidates about recruitment fraud. The Cyber Security team also proactively scan for signs of people setting up fake Unilever sites and act to close them down.