MAIN JOB PURPOSE:
The Site (Factory / Sourcing Unit) Quality role implements Unilever specifications, standards and Quality Management System (QMS) for quality assurance and controls in alignment with applicable regulatory requirements. This key Quality role ensures systems are in place to comply with local regulatory requirements and drives site Quality improvement activities to ensure product consumer safety & overall quality and address consumer / customer issues.
Reports direct line to Site Leader and dotted line to aligned Product Group Quality Director or Cluster Quality Director.
The scope of the role is dependent on site scale factors including number of consumer units, number of packing lines, site headcount, staff direct responsibility, and site complexity factors such as: technologies, SKU (Store Keeping Unit), and % production direct‐shipped to customer.
Decision making directly impacts consumer safety and quality of Unilever products in the market place with implications on Unilever’s reputation and brand equity. It is a key role in mitigation and management of Unilever Corporate Operational Risk (Design and production of products that meet our environmental, consumer safety and quality standards).
- Deploys UL Quality strategy and goals through site specific projects and targets
- Provides Quality leadership to influence Site Q culture through activities to create passion for products and brands, visibility for quality, and coaching of site leadership
- Builds quality and consumer safety skills and knowledge through coaching and training of factory team
- Ensures Quality team has level of required skills and knowledge as appropriate to support site quality programs
- Builds Site Quality talent through recruiting, coaching and training
- Participates as lead for Site Quality in Quality meetings and forums as needed
- Participates as lead for Site Quality in virtual site network meetings and forums
- Ensures UL QMS is implemented locally to assure consumer safety and overall quality of the final product being manufactured
- Verifies compliance of site operations to UL QMS and other applicable quality related requirements through program of internal audits
- Ensures complete, accurate and on‐time submission of annual Quality Verification program self‐assessment
- Ensures that Unilever and applicable external standards and requirements are accurately represented in local procedures and work instructions
- Reviews and analyzes site quality KPIs, loss trees, and data to understand quality performance and identify areas for improvement
- Ensures that site details for Inter‐Company Quality Agreements are provided to MCO receiving the product, as appropriate to product being sourced
- Ensures site maintains satisfactory standings and approvals for Unilever and applicable customer required audits / certifications
- Ensures site compliance with all local regulatory requirements related to consumer safety and product quality, and that ethnic and religious requirements are in place and maintained, e.g. Kosher, Halal, etc.
- Verifies traceability of materials, packaging and product aligned with UL and regulatory requirements and applicable consumer safety risks
- Ensures site utilizes SAP QM and specifications in alignment with applicable requirements o Leads for site in product incident management situations linking with MCO Quality
- Implements and verifies procedures to control non‐conforming materials and products (e.g. identification, segregation, disposition, reprocessing)
- Develops, implements and updates site HACCP plan and pre‐requisite programs and ensures mitigation of consumer safety risks through HACCP validation and on‐going verification
- Implements pre‐requisite programs required to support site HACCP plan including validation and on‐going verification requirements (e.g. pest controls, allergen management, hygienic controls, etc.)
- Ensures implementation and on‐going compliance to requirements of category / technology GMP that are applicable to the site
- Ensures quality of materials and packaging by implementing in‐take control program (e.g. processes to receive, inspect, sample and approve for use, produce & maintain required documentation, re‐control aged materials as needed, etc.)
- Ensures quality throughout the entire production cycle by implementing testing program aligned with UL requirements and specifications
- Ensures all on‐site Quality laboratories operate in accordance with good laboratory practices and all applicable UL requirements / testing methods and government / authority regulations
- Ensures implementation and on‐going verification of site‐wide program for calibration and maintenance of inspection, measuring and testing equipment
- Implements program for product fill control monitoring and on‐going verification to ensure regulatory compliance and reliability of label weight declarations
- Implements / maintains system to securely record and preserve required test results, audit findings and other data and information in alignment with applicable Unilever and external requirement
- Leads Quality Pillar for site in TPM factories
- Ensures UL required IT systems, practices, loss trees and improvement tools are used to reduce / eliminate quality losses
- Initiates and supports structured Q improvement activities for product and package complaints and CRQS gaps
- Ensures and improves quality of bought‐in materials and services by monitoring supplier erformance and partnering with Procurement to address quality losses
- Ensures alignment between process capability and specification limits for processing and filling operations by utilizing results of process capability studies
- Applies current tools and practices to manage quality related projects
- Ensures quality resource support to innovation trials in site
- Ensures site quality support as needed to early management for projects affecting the site o Ensures Site Q resources support VIP projects as needed
- Ensures site quality‐related responsibilities are detailed in LMP as appropriate for innovations and other changes and executed as per plan
- Leads for site in quality related category knowledge, understanding of requirements
- 5 Years of Experience in Quality and/or Production (FMCG is preferable)
- Relevant Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
Meet Some of Unilever's Employees
Scientist, Research & Development, Product Development
As part of the Global Design Team at Unilever in the men’s cleansing category, Sean spends his days formulating body washes for customers around the world.
Back to top