Pilot Plant Technologist
Salary – Circa £21,500
MAIN JOB PURPOSE:
Ice cream is a large and highly successful business in Unilever. It is also one of the most complex products to make because of the wide array of product formats and mixing, forming, filling, shaping & freezing technologies involved. The ice cream process development team in the GDC is responsible for identifying, creating, and delivering innovative and reliable new processes to support the design and manufacture of ice cream products across our world-renowned global (e.g. Magnum, CdO, Cornetto, Walls), premium (e.g. B&J, GROM), and regional brands (e.g. Cremissimo, Ingman, Evga, Cucciolone) that meet consumers’ needs.
You will have a passion for food, food ingredients, and food processing technologies. You will play a key role at the heart of the GDC in the design, set-up, operation, and maintenance of the global pilot plant. This will require close partnership with project teams, process development, and supply chain as well as key external partners/suppliers (e.g. 3PM, Material, Ingredient suppliers, machinery suppliers, process technology and control system suppliers). You will keep up to date with emerging technologies and consumer food trends to deliver processes for sustainable new products that delight consumers.
- Support the Pilot Plant Team Leader and Technical Project Leaders with all pilot plant related activities for multiple projects including innovation, renovation, value, quality, and sustainability improvement.
- As pilot plant operator, support safe and On Time in Full delivery of pilot plant trials. This requires effective and safe planning, design and execution of the trial including: preparation of ingredients and packaging, preparation of data acquisition and control systems, safety checks, operating procedure checks, operation of the equipment, troubleshooting, quality checks, product transfers, clean-down and CIP (Clean in Place) operation, safe disposal of waste
- Support trial leader in construction and dismantling of ice cream processing equipment
- After suitable training, carry or support out maintenance task on processing equipment
- Plan, prepare and produce ice cream mixes to the specifications given by Technical project leaders
- Work closely with Process Developers, Technical Project Leaders and supply chain to support the correct design and execution of the trial.
- Support safe working practices in the pilot plant by: assisting or leading machine and task risk assessment, reviewing and upgrading risk assessments and operating practices, and offering advice and guidance to pilot plant users.
SKILLS / EXPERIENCE/ QUALIFICATIONS
- Good interpersonal skills – team player
- Passion for food, ingredients and technology
- Risk management
- Well organised
- Fluent English
- This position is a physical job which requires a certain amount of manual handling
- Education at A levels or higher
- 3 years experience in the food industry preferable
- Working knowledge of food hygiene practices and regulations
- Basic awareness of Microsoft office suite
Hear stories from our Unilever Makers and understand how you can start your own Unilever career at: http://www.unilever.co.uk/careers-jobs/professionals/.
Or to apply now, click on “Apply to this job”. All candidate applications are reviewed in accordance with the criteria outlined for the job role.
Candidates who have applied online can track their application through the candidate tracking link or, if you have any additional queries, you may contact the Recruitment hotline number on 0800 0284390.
Meet Some of Unilever's Employees
Scientist, Research & Development, Product Development
As part of the Global Design Team at Unilever in the men’s cleansing category, Sean spends his days formulating body washes for customers around the world.
Back to top