ABOUT THE ROLE
We are currently recruiting a Packaging Designer within our Packaging function.
The main purpose of your role as Packaging Designer will be coordinate and facilitate design projects from the co-creation of early opportunities up to the manufacturing and launch of products. By connecting functions, touchpoints, competencies and external partners, you will have significant design impact on brand and portfolio growth. In order to deliver the greatest value for both the consumer and our brands, your job is to monitor design quality and constantly ensure that the designer’s intent is met in a project’s outcome.
We are looking for a Packaging Designer to work in Unilever’s Refreshment Category. Refreshment covers Beverages and Ice Cream, and Unilever is world leader in both areas. Beverage brands include Lipton, PG tips, Brooke Bond, and soy-based products under the brand Ades. Ice Cream brands include Magnum, Wall’s, Cornetto and Ben & Jerry’s.
Unilever recognises Packaging as an important part of the product mix. Not only does it fulfil a very important functional role, to contain, protect and inform, but also as the first “touchpoint” with the consumer, it must engage the consumer, reflecting the brand proposition, and delivering a delightful experience.
Design is a critical capability to achieving this – to create meaningful and relevant brand experiences for our customers any time they interact with our portfolio of products. This can be done though exploiting the physical pack – shape, colour, textures etc – and increasingly, through creating a delightful consumer experience of the total product in use.
DESIGN AT UNILEVER
Joining Unilever Design means working within a dedicated and ambitious design team on the development of high impact brand innovation. Unilever designers are strong and passionate thinkers and doers who are constantly seeking to improve purpose in terms of brand, people, sustainability, technology & business growth.
As a job holder in Unilever Design you will collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams and external partners in order to create value and meet consumer needs with convincing and meaningful Design solutions.
The key accountabilities of the Packaging Designer are as follows:
- Take ownership in the completion of briefing templates and guide the design delivery of external partners from briefing to handover of the design
- Manage collaborative and powerful agency relationships while negotiating and comparing agency proposals and capabilities
- Support in building and maintaining network with engineering and technology partners
- Ensure effective and efficient project coordination from end to end and make certain that projects are delivered complete and on time
- Operate and guide project teams across the total design spectrum from the fuzzy front end, through design development and engineering up to manufacturing
- Navigate between the needs of the design team and regulations and expectations of the business
- Actively seek for improvement of existing workflows and internal and external relationships
- Promotion of and engagement in the Unilever Design Process and the associated roles, responsibilities and tools
- Master development, observation and compliance of project schedules and roadmaps
- Gather qualitative information relevant for design through market and stakeholder assessment
- Make design opportunities, propositions and solutions concise and understandable across functions
- Support initiation and coordination of feasibility prototypes
- Ability to conduct qualitative mechanical and engineering analysis
- Advise on functionality and manufacturability during down-selecting concepts and design opportunities
- Assist in the creation of brand books and design guides
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Professional Experience of design for manufacturing within a corporate or agency environment working as part of cross-function teams
- A relevant bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) within the area of product design or innovation
- Good working knowledge of 3D cad software for design application.
- Applied knowledge of design disciplines, design terminology, ways of working and project management.
- Experienced in collaboration with design agencies and suppliers
- Able to handle multiple projects at the same time
- Solid knowledge in material properties, processing and manufacturing processes
- Ability to distil consumer understanding and needs into opportunity areas for design
- Knowledge in the area of sustainable or green design is a clear advantage
REQUIRED LEADERSHIP BEHAVIOURS
- Growth Mindset
- Consumer & Customer Focus
- Bias for Action
Unilever is a global Fast-Moving Consumer Goods company in the UK and Ireland. We are already on target to achieve our huge ambition to double the size of our business globally whilst reducing our environmental impact. We are growing our business and also doing what is right for our consumers, community and environment. We are developing brands for people’s lives today and for the changing environment tomorrow – making sustainable living commonplace.
Working at Unilever means that you get to take part in this exciting journey and work with amazing people who are really passionate about our large portfolio of famous brands. We want to improve billions of lives and you too can join us in making a sustainable difference.
HOW TO APPLY
Hear stories from our Unilever Makers and understand how you can start your own Unilever career at: http://www.unilever.co.uk/careers-jobs/professionals/.
Or to apply now, click on “Apply to this job”. All candidate applications are reviewed in accordance with the criteria outlined for the job role.
Please also attach your portfolio along with your CV.
Candidates who have applied online can track their application through the candidate tracking link or, if you have any additional queries, you may contact the Recruitment hotline number on 0800 0284390.
Meet Some of Unilever's Employees
Scientist, Research & Development, Product Development
As part of the Global Design Team at Unilever in the men’s cleansing category, Sean spends his days formulating body washes for customers around the world.
Back to top