Manager - MSBI and Tableau
Function : I&A
Position Title : MSBI & TABLEAU Lead Manager
WL : 2A
Location : Bangalore, India
Role Type : Fixed Term Assignment
Business Context and Main Purpose of the Job
Information is the lifeblood of value creation and competitive advantage. Without good information Unilever cannot manage performance, cannot operate effectively and cannot be sure that the decisions taken are the right ones. Information & Analytics (I&A) is all about leveraging technology, analytics & consolidated services to provide information and insight on-time right across Unilever.
Good information is at the heart of Unilever’s success – enabling us to manage performance, operate effectively and make sure that the decisions taken are the right ones. To meet this need, Enterprise & Technology Solutions (ETS) has created a dedicated cross-functional Information & Analytics team to support the business, with a critical mass of expertise and specialist Business Intelligence skills, in order to convert data into information that becomes a source of competitive advantage to Unilever.
Within the Information & Analytics Team, the Reporting and Presentation team is Accountable for delivering best-in-class Reporting solutions fulfilling Functional, Performance and User Experience requirements. We are building a quorum of internal development expertise within this team, whereupon this role is positioned.
We are looking for a MSBI and Tableau Lead Developer UX designer with specific extensive experience in Data Microsoft BI stack and Tableau (Desktop and Server) and capable of leading the Front End delivery in large scale projects.
The core purpose of the new role is to help Project teams to deliver great and consistent UX designs across all I&A deliverables, and thus achieve high levels of user adoption and satisfaction.
About Unilever IT
One global team, delivering HR Services, Finance Services, Information & Analytics, Real Estate Management, Travel & Facilities Management, IT Services (e.g. laptops, mobile & networks), Process Excellence and Technology
Accountabilities and responsibilities:
Top four accountabilities of the role are
- Plan, Design, Build then Test and Deploy Reporting solutions delivered through Microsoft BI and Tableau tooling.
- Work as part of an effective Project Team, alongside ETL, EDW & Database Modellers, Infrastructure Architects and Project Managers to deliver, as part of a team – all working together to provide a successful end-to-end Reporting solution.
- Work closely with Logical Data Modellers and Semantic Data Modellers to ensure Data Models are effectively designed to support Microsoft BI and Tableau Reporting solutions.
- Working effectively within Project Teams to ensure effective end-to-end solutions.
- Overseeing team members delivery on projects
- Deliver well thought out solutions that meet functional and performance requirements, often problem solving throughout Design and Build, through analysing SQL Query interactions to underlying data source.
- Develop reporting solutions with consideration towards User Experience, namely creating intuitive, attractive and engaging solutions based on a Working Knowledge of User Experience (UE) concepts.
Contributes to the creation / development of UX templates / Data Visualisation designs / standards. / approaches etc.
Ensure application of the templates / tools / standards. / approaches etc. in I&A projects.
Train I&A project teams / Business information teams (BIT) and others
Provide on-going support to teams with regard to UX standards, designs, prototypes and testing.
- To keep abreast of the Innovation of MS BI stack solutions, Tableau, MS Azure and other relevant technologies, ensuring that solutions are leveraging the latest product advancements.
- Manage a number of developers, supporting them through problem solving challenges and occasional reviews of delivery.
- - Bachelor’s Degree in one of the following disciplines
- Bachelor’s Degree in IT, related to Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence or comparable experience in the field.
- User Experience design,
- Data Visualisation,
- Industrial design,
- Info graphics design
- Or a related degree in User Experience designs.
Key Interfaces (teams and people to engage with communicate with and influence)
Other developers and other technical leads.
User Experience team in CTO
Skills and Competencies
- - Working knowledge of good UX practise and methodologies (User interactions, Usability tests, Wire framing, Prototyping)
- - Data Visualisation skills
- - Ability to engage with users positively and shape discussions to achieve fir for purpose UX designs
- - Skills in building rapid prototypes using appropriate tools
- - Graphical design (visualisations and navigations)
- - Appreciation of Front end technologies (Tableau, Microsoft tools) and Front end designs
- - Appreciation of business intelligence and analytics
- Appreciation of data modelling Extended experience developing Business Intelligence solutions with Microsoft BI stack and Tableau, minimum of 7 years.
- Leading edge experience of SQL Server, SSAS (OLAP Cube design advanced is a must), SSRS and SSIS.
- Fully operational Knowledge of SQL Query language and MDX
- Fully operational Knowledge of Tableau Desktop as report and dashboard development tool and Tableau Server as platform (2-3 year experience).
- Deep knowledge of Data Modelling and Data Warehousing techniques (Kimball) and practical, hands-on knowledge of its implementation in OLAP Cubes.
- Visual Studio Development / Business Intelligence Development Studio experience aligned to skills above.
- Report and Dashboard design following standard User Experience guidelines
- Experience leading the Front End delivery in large scale projects with both internal and external resources
- A working knowledge of Information Security and Access Control.
Nice to have:
- End to End Data Warehouse design and build experience including ETL Process.
- Power BI.
- Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure platform.
Teamwork, Communication (with an emphasis on virtual environment), Problem solving, Decision making
Standards of Leadership:
- Bias for Action
- Customer Focus
- Growth Mind set
- Accountability and Responsibility
- 7 years experience in Experience in UX designs, Data Visualisation, demonstrated through use cases, wire frames, prototypes and sample reports or a portfoliofull Microsoft Business Intelligence Stack, developing a wide range of Microsoft BI solutions.
- 3 years experience in Tableau Development and Tableau Server basic administration and security
- 3 years experience leading development teams
- 3 years experience working as technical lead for Business Intelligence projects.
- Management experience.
Meet Some of Unilever's Employees
Scientist, Research & Development, Product Development
As part of the Global Design Team at Unilever in the men’s cleansing category, Sean spends his days formulating body washes for customers around the world.
Back to top