Human Resource Operations Specialist
The role of the HR OperationsSpecialist supports the delivery of the HR Strategy and processes at theUnilever Kilbourn factory. This position works with managers, supervisorsand hourly employees advising on HR issues and ensuring effectiveness ofprocesses. The HR Operations Specialist serves as the first point ofcontact for all employee relations and general HR inquiries. Also serves as thesubject matter expert in key HR processes; overseeing the execution of HRtransactions; providing value added analysis and reporting; as well as otherglobal HR projects/initiatives. It is critical to maintain a balancebetween providing customer service/advocacy for employees and administeringcompany policies.
Essential Job Function/Duties:
- Support HR Manager with site activities
- Point of contact for employee relations inquires, determining proper channel for resolution, interpreting policy, and advocating for employees
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) for all key HR Tools, systems and processes including: HRIS, Learning Management System, Compensation tools, Unilever portals, other related processes
- Own delivery and administration of all HR transactions; including those provided by third parties
- Counsel hourly employees and supervisors
- Manage escalation of HR support issues, following issues through to resolution while maintaining effective communication with all affected stakeholders
- Maintain, coordinate, monitor and report HR trends and issues within scope of work
- Coordinate and maintain updated on-boarding materials with training supervisor and operation teams
- Support union negotiation and collective bargaining agreement processes
- Conduct investigations including write-ups, legal conversations, and counseling
- Participate in AAP audits including own site and being a witness at other sites
- Demonstrate awareness of, utilize, and keep up to date on available resources to deliver business objectives
- Partner with Training Supervisor to create/deliver training
- Perform other duties as assigned
Recruitment and Selection – Partners with Supervisors to deliver end-to-end recruitmentof hourly employees. This includes contacting the recruiter, writing thejob descriptions, scheduling interviews, developing interview guides,interviewing, calibration and selection of candidates, verification of properbackground checks and delivering orientation.
Training – Manages implementation of Training Management System. Sets-up initial database, develops guidelines for use, trains supervisor andmonitors accuracy and timeliness of information. Reports to managementteam on progress of implementation and roadblocks. Partners withSupervisors and
Training Specialist to develop andmaintain the factory skills matrix. Consults with other sites on bestpractice and resources.
Delivers new hire orientation to Hourlyemployees.
Employee Relations – Trains and advises employees about ER policies andpractices, ensuring they receive new information when policies/proceduresimplemented. Assists line managers with discipline and performanceconversations.
Ensures employees and supervisors areproperly administering the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Investigates ethics complaints, writesreport and follow-up on any countermeasures from the outcome.
Recognition Program – Program design and integration. Manages nomination,selection and communication process
World Class Manufacturing (WCM) – Assists in driving implementation of ’22 Steps to implementa World Class approach’ along with the factory leadershipteam. Participates in PD Pillar, Root Cause Analysis of Safetyincidents, investigation, and reporting of incidents to site Leadership team
Benefits and Vendor Management – FMLA, STD, LTD administration. Interfaces withthird-party benefits vendors as well as corporate HR team when problemsarise. This could be in instances of the leave of absence, benefitsinquiries, retirement questions etc. Holds vendors accountable forimplementing resolutions. Ensures countermeasures are in place to avoidre-occurrence.
Manages hourly annual open enrollmentprocess from end-to end. Determines and communicates timeline. Presents any changes to employee population. Consults with employees andanswers any questions. Follow through to implementation and ensures correctinformation in PeopleSoft. Works with HR Services when issuesarise.
Reports Workers’ Compensation issues tothird-party vendor. Interfaces with the local contact and investigateswhen additional information is needed.
Time and Attendance Standards — Manages attendance tracking process, attendance policyadministration, communication with supervisors and follow-up of disciplinedelivery. Make suggestions for policy/procedure improvement. Communicatesand implements any policy/procedure changes to Supervisor and impactedemployees.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Business, Human Resources, or related field.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years of solid HR Generalist experience supporting an hourly population including experience with compensation, employee relations, general benefits, and employee coaching
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to influence others
- Must have a strong understanding of and be able to apply key HR expertise areas to ensure effective business diagnosis and delivery
- Ability to continuously seek improvements in HR polices and evaluate current processes for increased efficiencies is required
- Must have experience navigating and using an HRIS system
- Must be able to manage project and project teams from inception to completion including hitting deadlines and documenting progress
- Ability to work both independently, with minimal supervision, and collaboratively as part of a team goals is required
- Must take accountability for job responsibilities and complete tasks accurately and completely
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with all levels of internal and external contacts is required
- Must be able to travel domestically up to 10% of the time
- Must be able to effectively manage conflict while creating an inclusive work environment
- Familiarity in working with, and through, a third party HR support team is preferred
- Familiarity with national and local legislation strongly preferred
- Previous Union and CBA experience preferred
Unilever offers a competitivecompensation package which includes: Medical & Dental Plans, LifeInsurance, including eligible spouses, domestic partners & children; HealthCare Flexible Spending, Dependent Care, 401k Savings Plans, TuitionReimbursement, Paid Vacation and Holidays.
Please note: as part of the jobapplication, you will be asked to complete an online assessment. Completion ofthe assessment is mandatory. In order to be considered, please allow yourselfplenty of time to complete both the application and assessment. If theassessment is filled out partially or not at all, it will adversely affect theprogress of your application. Please be aware that you will have to completethe assessment at once as you will be unable to return to it later.
Unilever is an organization committedto diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a betterfuture every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, andcommunities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growthambitions and drive inclusion across the business.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative ActionEmployer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities
Applicants and employees are protectedfrom discrimination under Federal law. For more information, please see EEO isthe Law.
Employment is subject to verificationof pre-employment drug-screening results and background investigation.
Applicants and employees are protected fromdiscrimination under Federal law. For more information, please see EEO is the Law.
Meet Some of Unilever's Employees
Scientist, Research & Development, Product Development
As part of the Global Design Team at Unilever in the men’s cleansing category, Sean spends his days formulating body washes for customers around the world.
Back to top