eCommerce Business Manager
Job Title: eCommerce Business Manager
Salary: Competitive, Bonus, Car Allowance, Pension, Healthcare, Agile Working
eCommerce & new business models are a major growth and equity driver for Unilever
The Mobile smart phone has created the biggest retail disruption in a generation and the exponential growth of eCommerce. Amazon as one example alone, has grown from selling books to becoming the largest online retailer in the world. Others are investing billions to catch-up, and leading Consumer Packaged Goods manufacturers are putting digital-eCommerce at the heart of their strategies. The shift from physical stores towards online ecommerce and new related e-business models, is exploding exponentially. Today consumers subscribe for ‘convenience’ delivered straight to their home; the rise of disruptive start-ups (Air BnB, Uber, Deliveroo) offering these services, is altering the business landscape and broadening the range of competitors in every industry..
What you’ll do
The eCommerce Business Manager will lead Unilever’s business with Amazon, our New Revenue Stream (NRS) customers and direct to consumer (DTC) models end-to-end. It will take 100x growth thinking to reach our ambition, and someone who works with the agility of an entrepreneur. If the idea of being the General Manager of your own high-growth business with a portfolio of iconic brands excites you, read on.
You’re the go-to for all things Amazon, NRS and DTC. Accountable for the P&L and long-term growth plan, you set the strategy and then execute it with the full support of an all-star cross-functional team. You’ll own customer collaboration and have the chance to work alongside some of the most progressive minds in CPG and Retail. Co-creating innovative digital marketing programs, pioneering nextgen data analytics, and re-inventing supply chain are just a few of the things in your bag. You’re a critical thinker, quick learner, and have the intuition to chart the unknown. Fast. What else?
Main Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
Who you are
- You’re a born leader: You love setting the tone and driving with a people first mantra, you’re the one people rally around would walk over hot coals for.
- You’re a strategy guru: Using the left & right sides of your brain to create a vision and give direction purpose to a team of high performers gives you energy.
- You’re a dot connector: Figuring out complex business challenges with limited to no precedent doesn’t faze you. You have the unique ability to think differently and pull the big picture and small details all together clearly.
- You love to win, and have fun doing it: Your eye is always on the prize and you have a history of blowing away targets. You know it’s an adventure you need to celebrate along the way.
- You’re a story teller: You wrote the book on how to give killer presentations to take people on the adventure with you. The idea of knocking out a TED talk puts a smile on your face.
- You’re a teacher: you have an insatiable curiosity and love to learn and share. You follow more podcast, vlogs and blogs than you can keep up with on a breadth of passions from technology, social science to technology, and you believe in the power of paying it forward to help others develop their potential
- You’re a change-maker: As a proud leader of the eCommerce growth engine, you’ll serve as an ambassador throughout Unilever and enable our success. You’ll also get the chance to make a difference in the world by integrating everything we do with our Unilever Sustainable Living Plan team.
Skills/ Experience/ Qualifications:
What you’ll need to succeed
- Extensive performance experience in CPG (Personal Care, Beauty, Gifting) sales and marketing, retail, digital & or running your own business
- Excellent negotiation skills, the ability to influence and have impact, creatively craft and build brands and businesses
- Sharp Financial acumen to own a P&L, deliver monthly and annual business targets as well as judgement and insight to assess and build new business models and ideally having led Net Revenue Management programmes
- Digital Experience – proven track record or experience of building brands digitally, managing digital performance
- Experience leading a portfolio of brands, categories/customers and a large direct and indirect team
- Experience of managing and developing talent within and outside of your team.
- Proof of strong Judgement, Drive, and Influence is a must.
Who are We as an ecommerce & digital team:
- Unilever UK have been voted No.1 on the 2016 Advantage Group Survey
- We are a winning team delivering double digit growth ahead of our market and competitors
- The UK is one of the most advanced digital markets powered by >81% penetration of smart phones in the UK and over 5 hours a day spent online.
Our Team Culture:
- Focused on the world and people around us we have an insatiable curiosity and passion for technology and digital as enablers of experiences and value to the people we serve.
- We are passionate about People as more than just consumer and shoppers and believe through insight and understanding we will be our brands and experiences better than anyone else.
- We launch in beta and write the playbook as we run, learning and adapting at speed to deliver scale and impact in the business and partnerships we build. We’re comfortable being uncomfortable
- We are responsible for creating belief, leading the strategy, energising and inspiring others and making it happen – we own the number and the result
Lead the growth of Pure-Play, New Revenue Streams & Direct in the UK
- Build & lead the strategy for ‘where to play’ & ‘how to win’ with new customers and direct to consumer
- Build and develop existing and new strategic relationships with key partners.
- Lead eCom Net Revenue Management to develop and secure relevant consumer propositions for online and digital enabled business models.
- Co-Create digital campaigns to build brands in the smart phone enabled world
- Develop new revenue streams, both direct to consumer and ePartnerships
Lead customer strategy development and major customer initiatives
- Lead the development and delivery of the customer agile business plans, working with Category Managers and Shopper Marketing to create added value for strategic partners
- Work with the eCom Digital Marketing Manager, and Shopper Marketing to build & activate online Events, New Product Launches & core activations.
- Deliver key Category initiatives across channel & customers e.g. Brand Activation, New product launches and Unilever Sustainable Living Plan campaigns etc.
- Work with Finance & Supply Business Partners to identify scalable & sustainable supply models to support the growth of Pure-play, New revenue & Direct-to-consumer business models.
Be accountable for financial performance
- End to end P&L responsibility to deliver – Consistent, Competitive, Profitable & Responsible Growth
- Deliver Underlying Sales Growth (Turnover), Customer Profitability and Market Share growth
- Ensure application of Marketing Mix Modelling insights to drive consistent return on investment.
- Deliver Monthly volume targets (forecast), securing the opportunities to accelerate growth and manage any risks.
Build the Talent & capability within the team
- Lead and develop the performance of the team with on-the-job coaching & guidance
- Raise the roof on best practice & ways of working across the eCommerce team
- Set the pace and drive the Entrepreneurial, Collaborative & Experimental culture & purpose of the team
- Inspire the UK business & our Global teams on the opportunities & insight in the channel & from new partners
- Build teams across our matrix structure to unleash the capability across the all-star team
You’ll have an opportunity to build your dream team but today we have:
- 1 Senior Customer Account Manager
- 1 to be appointed Customer Account Manager
- 2 Customer Account executive
- 1 to be appointed Digital Marketing Manager
Measures of success
- Incremental turnover growth & profit
- New Pilots & eModels
- Capability Learnings
- Customer & Team Feedback
If you consider yourself an innovative leader, a go-getter who loves to #win, and someone who loves to have fun, then we may have the job for you.
Standards of Leadership:
- Bias for Action
- Building Talent and Teams
- Growth Mindset
- Consumer and Customer Focus
- Accountability & Responsibility
How to Apply
Hear stories from our Unilever Makers and understand how you can start your own Unilever career at: http://www.unilever.co.uk/careers-jobs/professionals/.
Or to apply now, click on “Apply to this job”. All candidate applications are reviewed in accordance with the criteria outlined for the job role. Please note that the closing date for the receipt of applications is 19th January 2017
Candidates who have applied online can track their application through the candidate tracking link or, if you have any additional queries, you may contact the Recruitment hotline number on 0800 0284390.
Meet Some of Unilever's Employees
Scientist, Research & Development, Product Development
As part of the Global Design Team at Unilever in the men’s cleansing category, Sean spends his days formulating body washes for customers around the world.
Back to top