Design Packaging Co-op (July-December 2017)
Unilever is a global Fast-Moving Consumer Goods company holding powerful brands like Dove, Axe, Magnum, Lipton, Hellmann’s, Lux and Vaseline. We are developing our brands for people’s lives today and for the changing environment tomorrow – aiming to make sustainable living commonplace.
To maintain the contribution of world-class design to the success of our brands, Unilever Design is looking for an exceptional new member to be part of its global team in R&D Skin Cleansing Packaging
The main purpose of your role as a Junior Designer will be to support our design teams across all design disciplines to create unique and meaningful products. You will be part of various design projects, ranging from the development of early design concepts to technical engineering to manufacturing and the launch of real products.
By connecting and collaborating with many different people inside and outside Unilever, we encourage you to find your own individual spot to grow further in the areas of design management, design engineering or design strategy. Carrying a positive and receptive attitude, you will be happy to thrive in a team that is always keen to back you and your competencies.
To bring greatest value both for our design team and the organization, we look for great communication skills with a clear focus on visualisation and the ability to express your ideas.
WHY JOIN UNILEVER R&D PACKAGING DESIGN
Joining Unilever Design means working within a dedicated and ambitious design team on the development of high impact brand innovation. Unilever offers an agile and open-minded environment with strong and passionate thinkers and doers who are constantly seeking to improve purpose in terms of brand, people, sustainability, technology & business growth.
As a job holder in Unilever Design you will have the chance to collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams and external partners in order to create value and meet consumer needs with convincing and meaningful Design solutions. Within Unilever Design you will have the chance to develop and be supported by various training initiatives both inside and outside Design.
- Act open-minded and agile in a team environment
- Be able and enthusiastic to articulate your ideas, feelings and thoughts
- Support the design team in the visualization of design concepts with everything from simple sketches and user journeys to early experience prototypes and mock-ups
- Utilize various input from the people around you in order to constantly refine your design work
- Be part of and get a feeling for managing collaborative and powerful agency relationships
- Use market and user research to gather qualitative information relevant for design
- Help to make design opportunities, propositions and solutions concise and understandable for non-designers
- Learn to establish networks and peers to inject design into the organisation in order to create holistic design solutions
- Get yourself familiar with Unilever processes and tools relevant for design, such as brand books, manufacturing guidelines etc.
- Actively involve yourself in both internal and external workflows to get accustomed to working as a designer in a corporate environment
- Engage in the Unilever Design Process and the associated roles, responsibilities and tools
- Learn to balance the level of design effort needed to achieve a desired design quality
SKILLS, COMPETENCIES & BEHAVIOUR
In order to support the design team with a fresh and ambitious mind, you should bring along the following capabilities:
- Co-creation: Embody design as a discipline of co-creation and actively reach out to others
- Trial and error: Thrive at experimenting and exploring without being afraid of failure
- Problem solver: Be a true optimist with a hands on ‘can-do’ attitude
- Love brands: Enjoy the understanding of brands and the relation between brand strategy and design
- Adaptable: Act as a versatile and flexible individual who likes to take different roles and evolving responsibilities in design teams
- Business understanding: Willing to learn how the business works, including corporate environments, business strategies and ambitions
- Strategic thinking: Ability to learn the unknown, think conceptual and in what-if scenarios
- Attention to detail: Be convinced that sometimes it’s the little things that can make a big difference
- Link between internal and external design: Support designers in the creation of design briefings and start to guide design agencies in its fulfilment
- Boost Unilever Design: Be passionate about design and the impact design can have to promote and consult in design thinking and benefits of Unilever Design
- Understand holistic design: Function as an advocate for consistency throughout all touch points between consumer and brand and actively challenge others to follow a holistic design approach
- Up to date: Be naturally curious about new trends and technologies while internalizing passion for people and their constantly shifting needs
- Respectful and open to criticism: Feel comfortable in challenging each other and understand constructive criticism as a way to become better every day
- People oriented: Understand that part of your profession is to turn the world into a better place and put people in the center of your design approach
- Strong communicator: Ability to adopt thoughts and concepts into visually appealing and comprehensible presentations
- Strong communication and visualization skills, especially in the area of early concept ideation
- Familiar with various research methodologies and tools
- Operational and understanding in 3D modelling
- Adept in using Adobe Creative Suite, as well as pens and paper
- Good organizational and project management skills
- Basic knowledge of various design disciplines, design terminology and ways of working
- Ability to think conceptually and globally about a broader range of design projects at the same time
- Competent to distil consumer understanding and needs into opportunity areas for design
- Basic skills or the willingness to get familiar with data and knowledge visualization
- Expertise in the area of sustainable or green design is a clear advantage
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Design Teams to learn from and support in daily practice
- Package Engineering to get familiar with technical requirements and supply chain capability
- External partners like design agencies and suppliers to help ensure the delivery of brilliant design solutions
- Marketing to learn to deliver design in line with the marketing vision
- Consumer Marketing Insights (CMI) and Consumer Technical Insights (CTI) to be aware and take advantage of latest and valid insights of consumers and technology
- Supply Chain to create designs ready for manufacturing and market
Must be a candidate for Bachelors in Industrial Design, Product Design, Mechanical Engineering, Material Science, or other similar programs. Foundational course work should be completed per program requirements.
POTENTIAL NEXT STEPS
We invest in opportunities for development and personal growth for our employees and enable a working culture that embraces diversity. Depending on your own development, you will have the chance to further develop in all the areas of Unilever Design and will be guided by various training initiatives.
Please send us at least three great reasons why you would be a matching candidate for us, your resume, and a portfolio or visual set of compelling work you’ve created.
Back to top