Customer Development Summer Internship
About Unilever United States, Inc.
Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of Food, Refreshments, Home and Personal Care products with sales in more than 190 countries. In the United States, the portfolio includes brand icons such as: Axe, Ben & Jerry’s, Breyers, Caress, Clear Scalp & Hair Therapy, Consort For Men, Country Crock, Degree, Dove personal care products, Fruttare, Good Humor, Hellmann’s, I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!, Just for Me!, Klondike, Knorr, Lever 2000, Lipton, Magnum, Motions, Nexxus, Noxzema, Pond’s, Popsicle, Promise, Q-tips, Simple, St. Ives, Suave, Talenti Gelato & Sorbetto, TIGI, TONI&GUY Hair Meet Wardrobe, TRESemmé and Vaseline. All of the preceding brand names are trademarks or registered trademarks of the Unilever Group of Companies.
Unilever employs approximately 8,000 people in the United States – generating approximately $8.5 billion in sales in 2014.
The Unilever Sustainable Living Plan (USLP) aims to double the size of Unilever’s business, while reducing its overall environmental footprint and increasing positive social impact. The USLP is a strategic response to the challenges businesses face operating in an uncertain and volatile world. See more on the Unilever Sustainable Living Plan at http://www.unileverusa.com/sustainable-living/.
Unilever ranked number one in its sector on the 2014 Dow Jones Sustainability Index.
The entire Unilever global factory network, as well as its U.S. non-manufacturing facilities, have achieved zero non-hazardous waste to landfill status.
For more information on Unilever U.S. and its brands visit: www.unileverusa.com
To connect with Unilever U.S. via Facebook visit: https://www.facebook.com/UnileverCareersUS
To connect with Unilever U.S. via Twitter follow: @unileverusa
To learn more about taking small actions that can make a big difference visit: https://www.brightfuture.us
Customer Development Summer Internship Overview:
The Summer Internship role is the primary pathway to beginning a career in Customer Development at Unilever. The program introduces you to Unilever through a challenging and rewarding experience, which offers you the opportunity to contribute to business goals. As an intern, you are assigned a key business project to own within the Customer Development (Sales) function. Skill sets utilized and further developed during the Internship are presentation skills, team working, leadership, analytics, and building insights into action to deliver business solutions.
At the conclusion of the summer, all interns present their project findings to a panel of key business leaders. Following the Internship, you may be invited to join Unilever as a Full-Time Management Trainee through our Unilever Future Leaders Program (UFLP) or rehired as an intern for the following year.
- Provide support to various members of the team as we look to strategically grow our brands at a customer, or on a category/brand team.
- Engage in proactive and timely communication alongside in depth analytical support focused on business solutions and current business trends to identify future opportunities to strengthen and/or grow our business and minimize potential risks to our current business.
- Develop a good working knowledge of Unilever reporting systems and demonstrate the ability to capture information and incorporate into spreadsheets and presentations (PowerPoint) to provide regular updates
- Retrieve and analyze specific customer and/or category data using customer-specific systems as well as Nielsen and Merlin data to provide a presentation on brand and category trends (to include market share and rank reports).
- Provide high quality information with short lead-time due to on-going and changing customer demands.
In Customer Development, teams are dedicated to one or more key customers (i.e. Wal*Mart, Target, CVS), brands, or product categories. You will have an opportunity to develop proficiency in managing data using both Unilever systems as well as external Customer systems (i.e. Nielsen, AMPS planning tool, Hyperion/Merlin sales reporting systems, etc). These positions involve a high level of customer service and follow up in order to effectively meet the needs of both the internal and external customer base – interaction with multiple touch points internally and externally.
- Current college sophomore/junior level pursuing Bachelor’s degree in business and/or marketing
- The ideal candidate will need to possess strong leadership competencies, and strong team and analytical skills; strategic thinking skills; initiative and enthusiasm for work in a fast moving, dynamic environment; the ability to communicate effectively, especially as part of a team; ability to be creative; and the ability to understand complex business issues and demonstrate consumer empathy.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Ability to relocate and willingness to work at CD office locations across the US
Life at Unilever is a lot of fun – just like our application process! Check out what you'll experience when you apply for one of our internships or co-ops:
- Application - Start by completing our simple online application. You can import your details from your LinkedIn profile to speed up the process. You can only apply to one function, so carefully consider which role you would like to pursue before applying.
- Assessment - After your application, if you meet the basic requirements, we’ll invite you to participate in a series of fun games that looks at different cognitive, emotional, and social traits. This will help us find the best fit for you and you will receive personalized feedback after completing the games.
- Digital Interview – Upon successful completion of the assessment, you will be invited to participate in a digital interview where you can solve real-world problems using Unilever scenarios. This will give you insight into our company culture and how we do business. The interview is split into two parts – three short hypothetical questions followed by a business case. You can record and complete your video anytime, anywhere. All you need is a computer or mobile device with access to video recording (usually standard in most devices) and a stable internet connection.
- Discovery Center – Once the interview is complete, we’ll invite our top matches to our offices in the Greater New York City or Toronto areas (depending on which job you applied for) for a truly immersive experience. You’ll get to experience a number of exciting activities and projects along with your peers, meet our leaders, and receive personalized coaching and feedback. The exercises are designed around a real business case study, enabling us to tap into your potential while giving you further insight into what it’s really like to work at Unilever.
If you are an individual with a disability and at any time feel you need an accommodation in order to complete any step of this process, please contact us at [email protected] or (201) 894-7530.
CANDIDATES MUST BE LEGALLY AUTHORIZED TO WORK IN THE U.S.
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities
Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination under Federal law. For more information, please see EEO is the Law.
Back to top