Job Title: Global Acquisition Specialist/Manager
Salary: Competitive Bonus Pension Healthcare
Function: Customer Development
Number of Roles: 2
Business Context & Main Purpose of the Job :
Digital Hackers Wanted: Do you want to be instrumental in a digital revolution at one of the world’s best known FMCG companies? We are looking for innovators with entrepreneurial spirit to join a rapidly growing part of Unilever Global Ecommerce Team. All eyes are on us as we internally disrupt the status quo to become more agile, test new concepts faster, validate business models quicker and accelerate new and acquired businesses through global markets in ecommerce. We trial and test growth strategies through core competencies of acquisition, conversions and retention with data analytics. We are looking at smart ways to engage with consumers and create disruptive business models that can harness the epic power and scale of Unilever.
Who we are:
Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of Foods, Home and Personal Care products present in over 190 countries with a turnover of €53bn reaching 2 billion consumers a day. Our brands include some newly acquired innovative online business models like Dollar Shave Club but also Persil, Dove, Knorr, Domestos, Hellmann’s, Lipton, Wall’s, PG Tips, Ben & Jerry’s, Marmite, Magnum, Lynx etc.
- Over 400 brands and two billion people use our brands on any given day
- 12 Direct to consumer eCommerce brands globally
- Global manufacturing, operational and brand marketing infrastructure supporting €53bn turnover and c170K employees.
- Diverse business models and brand portfolio from Dove to Domestos to Dermalogica
- The ambition for our HATCH team to form the backbone of new e-business model creation across the globe.
We are well known to be a great employer to our staff with the benefits that we can offer. We also do what we can for the environment through the Unilever Sustainable Living Plan. This is our blueprint for achieving our vision to double the size of the business, whilst reducing our environmental footprint and increasing our positive social impact
Ecommerce, acquired businesses and new business models are a major growth and equity value driver for Unilever.
These will enable selected Unilever brands and platform to influence and convert end-to-end consumer and shopper connect journeys. Building & influencing equity at every step of the path to purchase.
The real-time, agile, deep routed specialist ‘hands on’ retail nature of eCommerce means that specific experience and qualities are required to succeed. This team will evaluate (proactively and reactively) e-business model concepts (new and acquired) across all product categories and markets and build strategies to evolve and grow them globally. The roles will involve building analytical capabilities and expertise to support the businesses.
About The Role:
Unilever is growing online through acquiring direct to consumer businesses like Dollar Shave Club, creating its own direct to consumer business models and adapting existing business models and brands for digital. Our newly created team sits within the ecommerce part of Unilever and our role is to improve each brand in their ecommerce and in particular, direct to consumer capabilities. Ensuring the basic 3 pillars of acquisition, conversion and retention are fulfilled is at the heart of what we do. We help these brands understand what can be achieved and help them to achieve it. Ultimately our goal is to help these businesses grow as fast as possible.
We are looking for two key roles in this area a Customer Acquisition Manager and a Customer Acquisition Specialist.
The Customer Acquisition Manager needs to have a broader understanding and hands on capability of all channels including Paid Search, SEO, Affiliates, Online marketing (campaigns, advertising, email), Social Media (various channels within Social, content development, distribution, and PR) and Mobile App development.
- Implement the strategy across all paid channels: Paid Search, Affiliates, Retargeting, Partners and Display.
- Champion SEO best practice collaborating cross-department to increase SEO rankings
- Help set up day to day optimisation and monitoring across all paid channels and markets including weekly reporting
- Work with 3rd party agencies on campaign set up, optimisation and reporting
- Help produce clear and detailed reporting on channel/campaign/test performance analysis, leading to data driven decisions that drive business results.
- Test and learn approach introducing new/innovative digital acquisition methods, both within existing and in new channels
- Optimise and report on campaign performance- e.g. Refer a friend program.
- Understand and work to the digital acquisition marketing budgets for brands
- Update wider digital team on areas of digital marketing best practice as appropriate
- Coordinate local market trading stance and execution across digital marketing channels globally
- Localise channel approach based on day to day market observations
- Identify key performance levers for each channel, sharing learning’s across internal teams and external agencies
- Assist in assets and campaign requirements to Design and Development teams or agencies – assist in end to end sign off process, liaising with digital agencies
- Work with the brands Marketing Managers to develop and maintain the Digital Marketing Calen
- Maintain and develop key relationships across internal teams: Content, Design, Retention/CRM, PR, Merchandising and Development
- The roles are based from the UK to drive overall delivery however global travel will be required to give hands on support to local teams.
- Be the company expert on Customer Acquisition and head up creating and driving digital acquisition strategy across all platforms (mobile/tablet/desktop)
- Understanding of key marketing metrics including ROI / CPA
- Help build and innovate operational frameworks to scale capabilities
- Monitor, research and develop the customer acquisition function within eCommerce
- Motivate and support a wide range of local brand, category and geographical cluster teams
- Interested in trends and best practices in digital marketing with a good knowledge
- Commercially savvy, inquisitive and motivated to understand the brand customers behaviour
- Willing to adapt, embrace new challenges and continually improve as well as share knowledge to others
- Ability to work well under pressure and maintain close attention to detail
- Positively impact and influence internal stakeholders and external partners
- Grow the awareness and benefits of well deployed eCommerce within Unilever globally
- Manage financial budgets
- Inspire and coach others on the best practice techniques and tools
- Global eCommerce Director DTC
- Brand leaders and eCom leads
- Global Brand Development (BD)
- Cluster & Market Teams
- External Partners
- Unilever IT / Innovation
- Consumers & Shoppers
- Google Analytics
- Excellent Excel skills with high levels of numeracy and accuracy
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to demonstrate strong written, verbal communication and presentation skills
- Good analytical skills, curiosity of data, always measuring performance and finding ways to improve
- Good planning and organizational skills with the ability to manage and prioritise own workload and track progress of certain tasks over longer periods
Relevant Experiences, dependent on level of role:
- Extensive years direct digital acquisition experience with PPC campaign management, reporting and analytics.
- Experience in direct Social Media channel targeting including Facebook and some exposure to Instagram
- Extensive years of eCommerce experience with an emphasis on B2C or DTC (direct to
- consumer) as we call it.
- Have been responsible for managing and executing all aspects of customer acquisition
- Experience across other digital acquisition channels, e.g. SEO, Affiliate, Email, Retargeting, Display (although experience in all of these digital marketing channels is not required)
- Experience in working with agencies and third party suppliers and assessing capabilities against costs
You might also have: ideal not essential.
- Experience in buying and merchandising or an awareness of the functions of trading a site
- Startup experience is bonus
- Any experience in new business models, platforms or strategies is also a bonus
- If you’ve tried to set up your own business and given it a go, we’ll be impressed with that too
- Exposure to managing market places such as Amazon, ebay
- We are also looking for a customer conversion and retention specialist/manager for future roles so please feel free to also contact us if you have skills and experience in these areas….
Standards of Leadership:
- Bias for Action
- Building Talent and Teams
- Growth Mindset
- Consumer and Customer Focus
- Accountability & Responsibility
How To Apply:
Hear stories from our Unilever Makers and understand how you can start your own Unilever career at: http://www.unilever.co.uk/careers-jobs/professionals/.
Or to apply now, click on “Apply to this job”. All candidate applications are reviewed in accordance with the criteria outlined for the job role. Please note that the closing date for the receipt of applications is 24th January 2017
Candidates who have applied online can track their application through the candidate tracking link or, if you have any additional queries, you may contact the Recruitment hotline number on 0800 0284390.
Meet Some of Unilever's Employees
Scientist, Research & Development, Product Development
As part of the Global Design Team at Unilever in the men’s cleansing category, Sean spends his days formulating body washes for customers around the world.
Back to top