2019 Summer R&D Summer Internship -Product Development
A better business. A better world. A better you. At Unilever you are more than your job title, you are part of the world's most successful, purpose-led business. Work with brands that are well-loved around the world, that improve the lives of our consumers and the communities around us. We produce world-leading brands including Lipton, Knorr, Dove, Axe, Hellmann's and, alongside trusted local names and innovative-forward thinking brands like Ben & Jerry's, The Dollar Shave Club and Dermalogica.
Background & Purpose of the Job
We are developing our brands for people's lives today and for the changing environment tomorrow - aiming to make sustainable living commonplace. Unilever offers vast and exciting career paths within R&D. Creating new innovations and enhancing our existing brand portfolio - it's all yours in Unilever's R&D product development function. A product developer is generally expected to conduct the following work activities as part of a cross functional project team: Successful participation and interaction on project teams. Assist with the preparation of a broad range of prototypes using a variety of resources to bring product concepts to life. Culinary scoping and development of products to meet a culinary and/or a product design brief. Work with novel raw materials to determine potential application in Unilever products. Assist with the assessment of technical feasibility from a product perspective and identification of product related issues such as unique ingredients as well as the effect of process on product quality attributes. Identification of formulation & ingredients, shelf life, potential suppliers. Demonstrate sound communication skills to present prototypes in product showings among several different functional groups and with suppliers
Who You Are & What You'll Do
With guidance from a mentor and manager, product development summer interns will manage one major summer project on their own. In order to do this, summer interns are expected to assess the technical feasibility of potential formulations and identify formulation-related issues such as cost targets, stability or safety considerations. Other responsibilities include interacting with other groups within R&D (process engineering, consumer science, and packaging), translating consumer and/or technical insights into compelling creative demos, and investigating and resolving quality issues.
- You're a born leader:Demonstrate bias for action and ability to drive decision making on your project.
- You're a dot connector:You will design & conduct experiments, collect & analyze data, and provide technically solid recommendations as a result of that work
- You're a story teller:You will present your project and results to senior management
- You're a culture & change champion:You bring your own experiences and uniqueness to the team, which is valued in our inclusive work environment
What You'll Need To Succeed
- Undergrad with Junior status based on skills and coursework.
- Coursework preferably in Food Science, Chemistry, Biology, Engineering and/or Culinary Arts.
- Ability to execute a project and analyze research data/studies.
- Ability to deliver data to support insights, techniques and technologies for improvements.
- Ability to work as part a team (both your own team and cross-functionally) as well as to think/act independently
- Ability to work independently on the bench and in the pilot plant
- Strong presentations skills
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Willingness to relocate
Life at Unilever is a lot of fun - just like our application process! Check out what you'll experience when you apply for one of our internships or co-ops:
- Application - Start by completing our simple online application. You can import your details from your LinkedIn profile to speed up the process. You can only apply to one function, so carefully consider which role you would like to pursue before applying.
- Assessment - After your application, if you meet the basic requirements, we'll invite you to participate in a series of fun games that looks at different cognitive, emotional, and social traits. This will help us find the best fit for you and you will receive personalized feedback after completing the games.
- Digital Interview - Upon successful completion of the assessment, you will be invited to participate in a digital interview where you can solve real-world problems using Unilever scenarios. This will give you insight into our company culture and how we do business. The interview is split into two parts - three short hypothetical questions followed by a business case. You can record and complete your video anytime, anywhere. All you need is a computer or mobile device with access to video recording (usually standard in most devices) and a stable internet connection.
- Discovery Center - Once the interview is complete, we'll invite our top matches to our offices in the Greater New York City or Toronto areas (depending on which job you applied for) for a truly immersive experience. You'll get to experience a number of exciting activities and projects along with your peers, meet our leaders, and receive personalized coaching and feedback. The exercises are designed around a real business case study, enabling us to tap into your potential while giving you further insight into what it's really like to work at Unilever.
- "To receive communication about your application, please add email@example.com to your safe senders list, and ensure your mobile phone number is correctly entered in your application. Please check your spam folder if you are expecting communication."
What We Can Offer You
Culture for Growth | Top Notch Employee Health & Well Being Benefits | Every Voice Matters | Global Reach | Life at Unilever | Careers with Purpose | World Class Career Development Programs | Check Out Our Space | Focus On Sustainability
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination under Federal law. For more information, please see EEO is the Law
Employment is subject to verification of pre-screening tests, which may include drug screening, background check, credit check and DMV check.
If you are an individual with a disability in need of assistance at any time during our recruitment process, please contact us at 1-855-239-5459 or mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org . Please note: These lines are reserved for individuals with disabilities in need of assistance and are not a means of inquiry about positions or application statuses.
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Englewood Cliffs
Shift: Day Job
Unposting Date: Ongoing
Req ID: 18000DJ6
Back to top