Special Education Paraprofessional (Camden)
The School Paraprofessional plays a central role in creating an academic and cultural environment which supports our ultimate goal: ensuring that every Camden student will earn a college degree. In this role, the School Aide works with teachers and the special education team to ensure that students with individual education programs receive the specialized attention that they need. The School Professional works both collaboratively and individually to promote a positive, structured, achievement-oriented, and fun school culture.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to)
- Work with students one-on-one or in small groups under the supervision of a certified teacher
- Ensure that all students work at their fullest potential
- Observe and document student progress in support of their individual education plan
- Assist with preparation, completion and submission of student-related paperwork
- Implement the Camden Prep curriculum, systems and philosophy on a daily basis
- Attend school daily, with the exceptions of school-related holidays and vacations (as noted in the annual school calendar)
- Model Camden Prep's core values (caring, courage, justice, respect and responsibility) and set the standard for professional behavior
- Participate in coaching and professional development to improve instructional practice, especially as it relates to discipline, student relationships and school culture
- Attend all Camden Prep's professional development workshops
- Must have completed at least two years of study at an institution of higher education or have an Associate's degree (or higher).
- History of personal achievement
- Upbeat, positive, outgoing, and personable
- Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and "roll-up-my-sleeves" attitude
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team
- Must enjoy contact with children and parents
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint
- Prior experience working in schools and/or urban communities preferred
- Strong desire to become a teacher
- Belief in the Camden Prep mission and educational model
- Spanish or Portuguese language skills a plus but not required
Compensation is $10 an hour.
The foregoing information is requested for mandatory government reporting purposes only. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.
Please note that your application will not be saved until you click "submit" at the end of the application question set. Unfortunately, you will not be able to save your resume or answers as you go along. Please take this into consideration. You are welcome to open the application, copy and paste the questions into a Word Document, and then copy and paste your answers into our application once they are complete. Additionally, if you leave your application before beginning the question set, you will need to upload your resume again in order to move forward with the process upon returning. Thanks in advance for the time you are taking to apply to Uncommon Schools.
Meet Some of Uncommon Schools's Employees
As an Instructional Fellow, Na'jee was training to become a school principal (He has since been promoted to principal, yay Na'Jee!). In this role, he coached teachers by observing classes and providing actionable feedback, built out the tools needed to be an effective school leader.
Back to top