Relay Resident (SY 21-22)
- Rochester, NY
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 54 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
The Uncommon Schools-Relay GSE Teaching Residency offers aspiring educators a unique opportunity to receive high-quality teacher training and learn how to teach while gradually taking on more teaching responsibility. The two-year residency, a partnership between Relay Graduate School of Education (Relay GSE) and select partner schools, is designed specifically for recent college graduates and career changers who are looking for an innovative pathway into the teaching profession. The Uncommon Schools-Relay GSE Teaching Residency is a proud member of the AmeriCorps National Service Network. For more information on Relay GSE, please visit the website at www.relay.edu.
In the first year of the Residency, participants will be hired to work full time as Residents at Uncommon Schools – Rochester Prep where they will help increase student achievement and maintain and support school-level systems. Residents will receive weekly Deliberate Practice sessions from Relay GSE's expert faculty and additional training in proven, powerful teaching techniques. Gradually, over the course of the first academic year, Residents will take on more teaching responsibilities as their skills and confidence develop. After their first year in the program, Residents will be prepared to transition into a full-time teaching position at a Uncommon Schools campus in their second year. Residents will continue to receive coaching and support as they serve as the teacher of record.
Throughout the two-year program, Residents will be enrolled as graduate students at Relay GSE and will take Masters-level courses that complement their roles as new teachers. Relay GSE's curriculum is designed to teach new educators how to manifest high behavioral and academic expectations, and develop rigorous, data-driven lessons while caring deeply for their students. The Relay GSE Teaching Residency will lead to a culminating understanding of what it means – and what it takes – to be an effective classroom teacher.
Successful graduates of the Residency will receive their master's degree and teaching certification from Relay GSE after the second year of the program. Upon completion, Residents will be able to demonstrate pedagogical mastery and have a clear pathway into a job, after receiving a full-time salary and benefits for the duration of the program.
- A Master of Arts in Teaching from Relay GSE, an innovative program focused on practice-based teaching methods and new educator support;
- A New York teaching certificate;
- Full-time salary and benefits for two years, with a pathway into hiring after graduation;
- Extensive weekly training and deliberate practice sessions in proven, highly-effective teaching techniques;
- A residency year, allowing Residents an opportunity to engage with expert teachers and best practices, while on a structured and promising pathway into a teaching job;
- Access to a network of veteran Uncommon Schools and Relay GSE teachers, new teacher colleagues and professionals; and
- An opportunity to serve as a Professional Corps AmeriCorps member, with access to benefits, including a financial education award, student loan deferment and childcare benefits
- Tutor small groups and individual students,
- Be a teacher's assistant,
- Teach certain elective and enrichment courses,
- Substitute teach,
- Complete Relay GSE coursework and take graduate school classes, and
- Take all necessary New York state tests towards teacher certification.
- Individuals who are committed to teaching in New York state schools for at least three years after the first year of the residency
- Recent college graduates or career-changers of any age, background or experience who strongly desire to become highly effective teachers
- Goal-oriented, driven individuals eager to impact the lives of K-12 students and communities individuals with the grit, optimism and resilience to overcome challenges
- Individuals who are eager to join a team of school faculty and graduate school colleagues
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree conferred by June, 2021
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.75
- A letter of recommendation
- US Citizen or permanent resident status
In their first two years with Rochester Prep, Relay Residents are salaried staff members who are simultaneously completing the Relay program. For Relay Residents who remain at Rochester Prep for a third and fourth year, in addition to their salary Residents will receive a stipend in each of those years to cover the costs paid out-of-pocket for their participation in Relay, therefore covering the costs of their Master’s degree within 4 years of starting the program.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Back to top