Director of Operations (Newark)
Director of Operations
Uncommon Schools (Uncommon) is a nonprofit organization that starts and manages outstanding urban charter public schools that close the achievement gap and prepare low-income students to graduate from college. Uncommon builds uncommonly great schools by developing and managing regional networks that are philosophically aligned and highly accountable and by designing and implementing "best-in-class" teacher training. The organization has achieved outstanding academic results based on internal assessments, statewide exams, and graduation milestones. Its schools consistently outperform their district schools and are among the highest-performing urban schools in their cities and states. To learn more about Uncommon click here uncommonschools.org/our-schools/uncommon-cities .
Oversees the ongoing operations at the school in conjunction with an Uncommon network's Chief Operating Officer. Ensures implementation and maintenance of clear systems that allow principals and teachers to focus on students. Works closely with Uncommon's Home Office Directors and with outside consultants and vendors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversees the ongoing operations at the school with the Network Chief Operating Officer and Associate Chief Operating Officer of Uncommon Schools (Uncommon).
- Creates a detailed start-up checklist and ordering list to ensure that the school starts each year prepared and fully stocked.
- Manages and oversees the school's physical condition.
- Works with Uncommon Chief Technology Officer to ensure that the school has a fully functioning technology infrastructure.
- Manages student information database system and generates reports as needed.
- Manages food and transportation services.
- Ensures school-wide compliance with health and safety laws, charter contracts, state education mandates (including staff fingerprinting), teacher certification, and all federal and state workplace regulations.
- Ensures that school-based employees receive payroll and benefits in timely and accurate manner from Uncommon.
- Works with Uncommon - particularly the Uncommon Director of Finance - to create and oversee the school's budget, finances, and relationships with outside vendors.
- Works with appropriate staff to construct advisory and class rosters.
- Creates and manages teacher, student, and classroom schedules.
- Manages relationships with all outside organizations and leads the school's efforts to partner with community leaders and organizations
- Manages visitor program.
- Maintains thorough list of pre-kindergarten programs, head start programs, youth service programs, churches, and other community organizations with which to correspond regarding student recruitment.
- Tracks student admission applications and maintains waitlist.
- Manages the Office Manager and staffs the Main Office when Office Manager is unavailable or not present, and ensures the smooth operation of the main office, including mailings, attendance reporting, office machine maintenance, etc.
- Coordinates with Uncommon to ensure smooth operations, identify needs, and facilitate flow of information.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
We offer a generous compensation package. All staff members are equipped with the tools needed to succeed, including a dedicated work space, laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary supplies.
The foregoing information is requested for mandatory government reporting purposes only. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.
Back to top