Dean of Students (Newark)
The Dean of Students at Uncommon will work with the school's Principal and Director of Operations to ensure that all students demonstrate dramatic student achievement gains and internalize the school's values. This individual will also help lead the school's efforts to create a positive, structured, consistent, caring, and disciplined school culture. At Uncommon Schools, the Dean of Students is the behavioral specialist.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Dean of Students works closely with the Principal to establish a positive, structured, achievement-oriented, and creative school culture
- The Dean of Students supports teachers to hold all students to high and consistent behavioral expectations
- The Dean of Students serves as the point person for dealing with behavioral crisis-intervention and acute behavioral issues
- The Dean of Students acts as a resource for teachers in their instructional practice, especially as it relates to issues of discipline, relationships with students, classroom management, and school culture
- The Dean of Students assists teachers, students, and parents in the effective creation and implementation of individual behavior plans
- The Dean of Students leads staff efforts to ensure all students have excellent attendance and arrive at school on time, and works aggressively with students and parents to ensure excellent attendance
- The Dean of Students may participate in summer home visits highlighting the responsibilities of parents, teachers, and students
- The Dean of Students arranges for efficient homework collection in the morning, and ensuring homework is delivered to staff from students appropriately and accurately
- The Dean of Students helps to reinforce the effective use of a school-wide behavior plan, including managing the school's demerit and rubric systems
- The Dean of Students serves as the point person for discipline/culture issues
- The Dean of Students ensures that the physical environment of the school reinforces school culture and facilitates student achievement
- The Dean of Students is highly present and visible during school hours, relentlessly ensuring the school has an exceptional school culture
- The Dean of Students proactively circulates throughout classrooms and hallways during the day, to gain valuable context on student behavior and help support positive school culture Monitoring behavioral pull-out and in-school suspensions
- The Dean of Students models the school's values and the standard for professional behavior
- The Dean of Students coordinates student apologies and school culture messages at Community Meeting
- The Dean of Students supervises breakfast, lunch, in-between class transitions, enrichment, and dismissal, making sure students are always where they are supposed to be and ensuring a professional school culture at these times
- The Dean of Students manages afterschool detention
- The Dean of Students keeps accurate student discipline records, documenting all conferences, suspensions, and phone calls for behavior
- The Dean of Students teaches at least one whole or small-group class
- The Dean of Students tracks behavior on the school bus, ensuring students are exemplary bus riders to and from school
- The Dean of Students ensures that behavioral expectations and school culture standards are met outside of the classroom as well as inside, including establishing and monitoring bus behavior/culture as well as cafeteria/meal time behavior and culture
- Drive to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of the classroom
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and strong interpersonal skills with students, parents, colleagues, and community members
- Understanding of the nuances of urban school environments and school culture
- Bachelor's degree is required; a Master's degree is preferred
- Minimum of two years teaching experience in an urban district or charter school setting
- Belief in and alignment with Uncommon's core beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable.
We offer a generous compensation package. All staff members are equipped with the tools needed to succeed, including a dedicated work space, laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary supplies.
The foregoing information is requested for mandatory government reporting purposes only. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.
Please note that your application will not be saved until you click "submit" at the end of the application question set. Unfortunately, you will not be able to save your resume or answers as you go along. Please take this into consideration. You are welcome to open the application, copy and paste the questions into a Word Document, and then copy and paste your answers into our application once they are complete. Additionally, if you leave your application before beginning the question set, you will need to upload your resume again in order to move forward with the process upon returning. Thanks in advance for the time you are taking to apply to Uncommon Schools.
Back to top