Software Test Engineer
As a Software Test Engineer, you will play a very important role in ensuring the quality and excellence of our products. You'll be embedded on a development team consisting between 8-30 people where you will validate application quality via automated and manual verification and give developers valuable input from a testing perspective. You'll get to work directly with other Testers, Developers, Business Analysts, Product Managers, and team Directors, all of whom make up the team. In this highly-collaborative environment, you will have the opportunity to grow as a tester, and even help mentor others get to your level. Are you ready to get started?
Software testing at Ultimate Software: http://youtu.be/415TR1BEzyY
Take a look at our company culture: http://bit.ly/1nYvenD
Here at Ultimate Software, we truly put our people first. We strongly believe in teamwork, and we encourage and trust our people to reach higher, learn more, and live up to their potential. Ultimate is ranked #1 on Fortune's "Best Places to Work in Technology" for 2017 and #7 on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list in 2017. Ultimate is also ranked #1 on the Fortune's "100 Best Workplaces for Millennials" for 2017 and #5 on its "50 Best Workplaces for Diversity" list for 2016.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- In your team's daily standup meeting, you provide your assessment of the prior day's software development effort, and walk a developer through it to get concerns addressed.
- You collaborate with Software Engineers, Tech Leads, Business Analysts, and UX designers at story kick off (explaining the details of the development story). You give input on the story with a testing perspective.
- After the story kick off meeting, you create and document test cases.
- Exercise your software development knowledge by writing automation using the latest in novel test case frameworks.
- A developer may come to you wanting you to review their test design, and you make some really good suggestions.
- You attend design meetings with business analysts, UX designers, and developers, and give your input from a testing perspective on how to make an application testable.
- Exploratory testing: this is when you get to let loose on the application – go crazy and try to break it! Bring out your inner Sid! (Hope you don't mind the Toy Story reference)
- Work with our seasoned test architects to develop and advance in your career. We can train you to get better with our in-house training in white box and black box testing!
- Finally, before the day winds out, you demo your story to the BA, and it gets closed because you thought of every little thing!
- Experience working in an Agile Environment (Kanban, Scrum)
- Ability to write and test code in an object oriented language, preferably Java. (Go, Node.js, C#, Ruby are also accepted, but must be able to ramp up to Java easily)
- Experience designing Test Automation frameworks from scratch
- Functional test automation tool experience (e.g. Selenium, WebDriver, Junit, TestNG, Nunit, etc.)
- Have worked with a CI system (e.g. TeamCity, Concourse, Jenkins, Hudson, etc.)
- Experience with Black Box testing techniques/methodologies and how to apply them (Positive, Negative, equivalence class partitioning, pairwise, state transition, boundary value, decision table and Usability test types)
- Experience with White box testing techniques (Statement/Branch/Condition coverage, Cyclomatic complexity, Basis path, etc.)
- Experience testing APIs
- Knowledge how to perform manual test based on given story requirements
- Nonfunctional test automation tool experience is a plus (ex. JMeter, LoadRunner, ZAP, etc.)
- Selenium knowledge/familiarity is a plus
- Ability to write intermediate SQL or NoSQL (MongoDB) code is a plus
- Experience testing Micro services
- CQRS design patterns
- Experience using Page Object Model pattern for test automation
- Performance testing (Load, Stress, Endurance) using JMeter, LoadRunner, ZAP, etc.
- Experience with NoSQL databases
- Security Testing
- Knowledge how to properly create bug reports using Jira bug tracking system
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or equivalent preferred
- Software Testing Certifications are a plus
This job description has been written to include the general nature of work performed. It is not designed to contain a comprehensive detailed inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Meet Some of Ultimate Software's Employees
Team Lead, Time Clock Team
As Team Lead, Markese takes care of the time clock needs, whether it’s related to hardware, software, or networking, ensuring customers can utilize the time clock functions without disruption.
Back to top