Senior Devops Engineer, Big Data / Hadoop
People spend most of their waking lives at work. At Ultimate Software, we build products that make people’s work lives better. We’re a nimble, sharp, and passionate team, and we’re looking for Senior DevOps Engineers who want to build products that have a real impact on how work happens within organizations.
We are looking for Senior DevOps Engineers to work on building, operating, and scaling next generation products and features that will bring data science and data-driven approaches to life in real end-user experiences.
Here at Ultimate Software, we truly put our people first. We strongly believe in teamwork, and we encourage and trust our people to reach higher, learn more, and live up to their potential. Ultimate is ranked #1 on Fortune's “Best Places to Work in Technology” for 2018 and #3 on the “100 Best Companies to Work For” list in 2018. Ultimate is also ranked #1 on the Fortune’s “100 Best Workplaces for Millennials” for 2018 and #3 on its "Best Workplaces for Diversity” list for 2017.
Note: The work location for this position is for our San Francisco office. Relocation assistance will be provided to the hired applicant.
Primary/Essential Duties and Key Responsibilities:
- You will be building, administering, maintaining, and scaling a big data platform based on the Hadoop ecosystem with primary use cases around supporting data science, reporting, and other data-driven functionality across the organization
- You will be building, maintaining, and scaling data engineering pipelines on top of this data platform
- You will be building, maintaining, and scaling various supporting application services to expose the data platform as a consumable service for domains across the entire organization
- You have participated in building out, operated, and scaled a SaaS product
- You have tactical experience with administering Hadoop and various ecosystem technologies like HDFS, Hive, HBase, Pig, Oozie, Spark, Kafka
- You are at home on the console of a Linux box
- You love to build. You like to think about architecture and design, too, but you’re not happy unless you get your hands dirty and produce something that works.
- Degree in engineering or related field or equivalent experience preferred
- You have run production systems and have the scars to prove it
- You have scaled out significant streaming and batch data processing systems
- You have setup a Hadoop cluster on your own, for your own edification
- You support a fast-paced, truly agile development team
- You have experience working with data science and helping bring their work to production
- You manage servers and systems through configuration management and orchestration tools (e.g. Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Bosh, Terraform)
- You have administered various database and storage systems (e.g. MySQL, MongoDB, Elasticsearch)
- You have run things on bare metal, on private cloud, in the public cloud, or hybrids (e.g. OpenStack, AWS, GCP)
- You have experience with CI/CD tools (e.g. Jenkins, TeamCity, Concourse)
- You have written code and supported teams using a variety of technology stacks and are comfortable with an ever-changing landscape (we're currently using Python, Java, Scala)
- You have experience with containerization and related technologies (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes)
- You are ready to take on on-call responsibilities to help firefight when needed (hopefully less and less often because you're here!)
- You always strive to find empathy – for your team, for the people using your software, for the other teams who have to support what you do (e.g., customer success, sales, marketing), and for that person three years from now who’s trying to fix a bug in something you built.
- You like to work on a team of people with diverse viewpoints and backgrounds.
- You don’t mind being wrong.
- No unique physical demands are required for this job.
- Limited travel upon request
This job description has been written to provide an accurate reflection of the current job and to include the general nature of work performed. It is not designed to contain a comprehensive detailed inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the employees assigned to the job. Management reserves the right to revise the job or require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change.
Ultimate Software will reasonably accommodate employees with disabilities as defined by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other appropriate statutes.
Back to top