Manager, Quality Engineering
Are you a naturally curious and inquisitive person? Do you get skeptical when people tell you that things are the way they should be? Maybe you pride yourself as being someone who thinks outside of the box, and isn’t afraid to go against the status quo? Do you find yourself being the one who wants to take a step back to analyze the big picture? Or perhaps you were a victim of Murphy’s Law, and pledged to never allow that to happen again. If you’ve answered “Yes!” to any of these questions, then you’ll love Software Testing here at Ultimate!
QE Managers are individuals who are leaders, experts, and innovators in our software testing organization. They provide technical leadership and strategic direction to guide continuous improvements to the processes, practices, and tooling used in all areas of software testing. These areas include functional testing, unit testing, continuous integration, test automation, performance testing, security testing, test case management, and others. QEMs mentor and teach others how to effectively use and apply software testing methodologies, tools and techniques.
Software testing at Ultimate Software: http://youtu.be/415TR1BEzyY
Take a look at our company culture: http://bit.ly/1nYvenD
Ultimate is ranked #1 in FORTUNE’s Best Places to Work in Technology for 2016 and #15 for 100 “Best Places to Work For in 2016.” This is the 5th year in a row we have been ranked on FORTUNE’s list. We were #21 in 2015, #20 in 2014, and #9 in 2013. Ultimate is also ranked #5 on the inaugural list of “100 Best Workplaces for Millennials” and #8 on Forbes magazine’s 2016 list of the “Most Innovative Growth Companies.”
Primary Responsibilities: (other duties may be assigned)
- Lead a team of hybrid software developers/testers in the design and development of software testing and process improvement tools.
- Provide guidance, leadership, and mentorship to technical software quality leads to ensure good test practices are being used across the organization.
- Participating in and/or coordinating trainings on black box testing, white box testing, and more.
- Work directly with the Director of Quality Engineering to set the vision and future direction of testing across the organization.
- Define, revise, and implement testing strategies to support mobile development, microservices architectures, continuous delivery, and more.
- Collaborate with software architecture, performance engineering, user testing and release management to support the delivery of high quality solutions.
- Share testing and leadership experiences with the software engineering and testing communities through technical papers, conference presentations, articles, blogs, and/or other forms of publication.
- Recruit and hire software testing talent.
- Run and implement continuous improvement initiatives
- Breadth of understanding and experience in software engineering and software testing.
- Depth of understanding and experience in multiple areas of software testing.
- Excellent testing and debugging skills.
- Strong problem solving and programming skills.
- Good project management and communication skills.
- Knowledge of black box and white box testing techniques/methodologies and how to apply them.
- Knowledge of test design techniques (boundary value analysis, equivalence class partitioning, pairwise)
- Have worked with or set up a continuous integration system (e.g. TeamCity, Jenkins…)
- Ability to write and test code in an object oriented language, preferably C#. (Java, Ruby, C++, VB.Net are also accepted, but must be able to ramp up to C# easily)
- Principles of object-oriented programming.
- Proficiency in the Agile development life cycle.
- Proficiency in Kanban and Scrum methodologies.
- Proven technical problem solving skills.
- Experience driving positive change within the team via process manipulation.
- Experience setting goals and focusing on measurable results.
- Ability to be a leader within the team as well as someone who is able to represent the team within the company.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with other groups within the organization.
- Selenium knowledge/familiarity preferred
- Understanding of data flow testing techniques preferred
- Understanding of mutation testing and error seeding techniques preferred
Education/Certification/License: Bachelor’s degree
Travel Requirement: None
Meet Some of Ultimate Software's Employees
Team Lead, Time Clock Team
As Team Lead, Markese takes care of the time clock needs, whether it’s related to hardware, software, or networking, ensuring customers can utilize the time clock functions without disruption.
Back to top