Director Of Data Engineering And Business Intelligence
We are looking for a Director of Data Engineering and Business Intelligence who is passionate about leading teams, passionate about data, passionate about quality and has a track record of successfully delivering actionable insights to customers based on their data. Our Business Intelligence (BI) and Data Warehouse (DW) Teams are replatforming from a Windows MS-SQL Server environment to open source tooling around the Hadoop ecosystem. This individual will continue to lead this transformation, possess the ability to communicate effectively across the Product Development Organization and promote the organization’s vision and strategy. Ultimate Software works in an agile environment with daily stand ups and code reviews as well as constant communication within each self-managed multi-functional team.
Here at Ultimate Software, we truly put our people first. We strongly believe in teamwork, and we encourage and trust our people to reach higher, learn more, and live up to their potential. Ultimate is ranked #1 on Fortune's Best Places to Work in Technology for 2018 and #3 on the 100 Best Companies to Work For list in 2018. Ultimate is also ranked #1 on the Fortune’s 100 Best Workplaces for Millennials for 2017 and #3 on its Best Workplaces for Diversity list for 2017.
Note: The work location for this position is for our San Francisco office. Relocation assistance will be provided to the hired applicant.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Experience leading Business Intelligence (BI) and Data Warehouse (DW) teams that have successfully delivered customer value using data
- Facilitate and drive the ongoing modernization of our BI/DW platform. Encourage and help the team retool their skillset to fit this effort
- Define the key metrics and KPIs needed to drive the correct team behaviors and deliver the right solutions
- Make sure the organization delivers software that supports the “ilities” – Scalability, Maintainability, Availability, Performance, and Monitoring
- Work with Product on the BI/DW strategy, vision, and roadmap for the BI/DW organization. This includes moving the organization to a self-serve reporting model, where the applications can easily create and modify their own visualizations
- Deliver an engine that puts the right actionable insight in front of the right employee to help them make key decisions for their business
- Create an organization that is customer focused with products that delight both internal customers (people in Ultimate Software) and our paying customers
- Be an enterprise level problem solver, be relentless, resourceful, and constantly look to improve yourself and your team
- Partner with support, sales, and cloud teams to deliver amazing insights to our customers
- 5 years+ experience as a Sr. Manager or Director running multiple teams
- 3 years+ managing/leading Business Intelligence (BI) and Data Warehousing (DW) teams
- Proficiency in the Agile development life cycle
- Proven track record of delivering high quality software solutions that scale
- Experience with open source and the Hadoop ecosystem (Hive, Spark, Pig, HBase, Atlas, Ranger, and more)
- Strong communication skills, analytical skills, and thorough understanding of product development
- Pragmatic in balancing between short and long-term deliverables
- Ability to recruit and hire quality leaders and team members
- Very strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to make recommendations as well as decisions. Ability to fail fast and validate decisions and adjust in a dynamic workplace
- Minimum BS degree in Computer Science or Information Systems or related fields. Advanced degree or MBA a plus
- Limited upon request, dependent on location
This job description has been written to provide an accurate reflection of the current job and to include the general nature of work performed. It is not designed to contain a comprehensive detailed inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the employees assigned to the job. Management reserves the right to revise the job or require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change.
Ultimate Software will reasonably accommodate employees with disabilities as defined by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other appropriate statutes.
Back to top