Data Center Technician
Ultimate Software is seeking a Part Time Data Center Operations Technician to work in our Atlanta data center as part of our Infrastructure Operations and Monitoring team. Ultimate Software’s Infrastructure Operations and Monitoring provides world-class monitoring and front line problem analysis and remediation for infrastructure and application/hardware platforms, leveraging industry-standard system and application monitoring tools and utilities.
Primary responsibilities of this role include troubleshooting environmental issues, analyzing infrastructure alerts, and processing infrastructure changes. Additional responsibilities include performing daily operations tasks such as identifying and correcting hardware alerts, maintaining equipment inventories, racking and cabling equipment, assisting vendors and internal Cloud Engineers with deploying and replacing hardware components. Platforms include Microsoft Windows operating systems, Linux, Microsoft SQL Server, IIS, VMWare, Cisco, Juniper, F5, Dell, HP, and Java-based systems. This position is demanding and plays an integral role in the success of our organization.
Ultimate is ranked #1 in FORTUNE’s Best Places to Work in Technology for 2016 and #15 for 100 “Best Places to Work For in 2016.” This is the 5th year in a row we have been ranked on FORTUNE’s list. We were #21 in 2015, #20 in 2014, and #9 in 2013. Ultimate is also ranked #5 on the inaugural list of “100 Best Workplaces for Millennials” and #8 on Forbes magazine’s 2016 list of the “Most Innovative Growth Companies.”
Primary Responsibilities: (other duties may be assigned)
- Proactive monitoring of production systems with a sense of urgency when issues arise; environment consists of several thousand production systems and nodes.
- Issue-driven communication to ensure active engagement by escalation staff and timely and effective updates to management.
- Troubleshoot application and infrastructure related incidents.
- Infrastructure capacity management, including power and HVAC.
- Server, network, and storage equipment installations; operating system and application installations.
- Maintain continuous operation of mission-critical systems; ensure optimal performance levels are sustained.
- Regularly interface with Tier 2 and Tier 3 support personnel.
- Execute planned changes.
- Maintain accurate and current equipment inventories and rack elevations.
- Evaluate and document critical data regarding system performance.
- Problem analysis and remediation.
- Position requires flexibility in shift schedule.
- Works under minimal supervision.
- On call rotation.
- Ideal candidate will possess experience working in an enterprise environment of a least 100 servers, with 3+ years in a technical support position, and 2+ years hands-on experience in Data Center operations.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working with Windows 2003/2008 Server and Active Directory.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in hardware-related issues’ troubleshooting and repair.
- 2+ years’ experience working with VMWare.
- 2+ years’ experience in data cable wiring and management.
- Experience working with enterprise network monitoring tools (Orion and Altiris a plus).
- Experience working with Cisco devices and NAS/SAN a plus.
- Experience with Linux operating system a plus.
- Ability to multitask and adapt quickly to emerging technologies.
- Process and Procedure driven.
- Must have excellent skills in problem analysis and troubleshooting complex technical issues.
- Ability to lift equipment in excess of 50lbs.
- Experience troubleshooting issues with and supporting Juniper and Cisco network devices and SAN-based technologies is a plus.
- Experience working with enterprise Network Load-Balancers, e.g., F5 and Cisco is a plus.
- Experience working with virtual server platforms, preferably VMWare.
- Experience working with multiple server hardware platforms, including Dell and HP.
- Ability to work in a team environment and partner effectively with others
- Ability to communicate effectively (listening, presenting and questioning)
- Ability to manage conflict effectively by maintaining a level of civility and professional respect
- Ability to be flexible in a negotiating environment
- Excellent customer service skills
- Positive team participation skills
- Strong organizational, written and communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, MIS, or related Technology Degree preferred.
- Preferred Microsoft certifications: MCP, MCSE, or MCDBA.
Travel Requirement: minimal
Meet Some of Ultimate Software's Employees
Team Lead, Time Clock Team
As Team Lead, Markese takes care of the time clock needs, whether it’s related to hardware, software, or networking, ensuring customers can utilize the time clock functions without disruption.
Back to top