Cloud Operations Technician
Ultimate Software is seeking a Cloud Operations Technician to join our team in the management, growth, and support of our private and public Cloud’s Infrastructure and Application Services. These services are built upon Wintel and Linux/Openstack platforms. Technologies leveraged at Ultimate Software include Windows Server 2008/2012, Ubuntu, VMWare, Juniper, Dell, Chef, Ansible, Solid Fire. This position will be part of our Cloud Operations Services team working in an operational capacity and supporting environments hosted in data centers within the U.S. and Canada. Ultimate Software’s Cloud Operations Services team provides world-class monitoring and front line problem analysis and remediation for infrastructure and application platforms, leveraging industry-standard system and application monitoring tools and utilities. Primary responsibilities of this role include troubleshooting environmental issues, analyzing infrastructure and application alerts, executing tasks via scripting, performing post change quality assurance testing, and providing immediate response for incidents in a 24/7/365 atmosphere; leveraging well-documented processes and procedures. Platforms include Microsoft Windows operating systems, Linux, Microsoft SQL Server, IIS, VMWare, Openstack, SolidFire, NetApp, Juniper, F5, Dell, and Java-based systems. This position is demanding and plays an integral role in the success of our organization.
Here at Ultimate Software, we truly put our people first. We strongly believe in teamwork, and we encourage and trust our people to reach higher, learn more, and live up to their potential. Ultimate is ranked #1 on Fortune's “Best Places to Work in Technology” for 2018 and #3 on the “100 Best Companies to Work For” list in 2018. Ultimate is also ranked #1 on the Fortune’s “100 Best Workplaces for Millennials” for 2018 and #3 on its "Best Workplaces for Diversity” list for 2017.
Primary/Essential Duties and Key Responsibilities:
- Proactive monitoring of production and development systems with a sense of urgency when issues arise; environment consists of several thousand production systems and nodes.
- Issue-driven communication to ensure active engagement by escalation staff and timely and effective updates to management.
- Build reports and perform trend analysis of system and application events.
- Perform post-change product functionality testing.
- Troubleshoot application and infrastructure related incidents.
- Regularly interface with Tier 2 and Tier 3 support personnel.
- Execute planned changes.
- Execute automated tasks via scripting; including remediation and testing.
- Problem analysis and remediation.
- Position requires after hours work and weekends (flexible schedule).
- Works under minimal supervision.
- Monitor and respond to system and application alerts; applying remediation or escalation in order to minimize customer impact.
- Manage customer-facing incidents to resolution; engaging the right resources for troubleshooting; documenting event timelines; and communicating status updates to our customers and internal leadership.
- Review and analyze system-generated reports from our monitoring solutions identifying issue trends.
- Execute automated tasks through existing scripts; including remediation and testing.
- Execute planned changes such as security patching.
- Generate shift status reports; including shift transition reports.
(Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Ideal candidate will possess experience working in an enterprise environment of a least 100 servers, with 1+ years’ in a technical support position.
- Minimum of 1 years’ experience working with Windows 2003 Server and above as well as Active Directory is desired.
- 1+ years’ working with Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or higher preferred
- 1+ years’ experience working with VMWare or another virtualization platform is a plus.
- Experience in supporting browser-based applications is preferred.
- Experience working with enterprise network monitoring tools (Solarwinds Orion, Microsoft SCCM/SCOM, Nagios) is preferred
- 1+ years’ working with scripting languages (VB Script, Powershell, Python) is preferred.
- Ability to multitask and adapt quickly to emerging technologies.
- 1+ years’ experience working with Linux operating systems; ex, Ubuntu.
- Process and Procedure driven.
- Must have strong skills in problem analysis and troubleshooting complex technical issues.
(Experience, Education, Certification, License and Training)
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, MIS, or related Technology Degree required.
- Linux certified a plus.
- CompTIA Networking a plus.
- Experience working with SQL Management Studio a plus.
- Experience troubleshooting basic network issues a plus.
- Position requires working at a computer console and monitoring system and application events during an eight hour shift, with breaks.
- Not required
This job description has been written to provide an accurate reflection of the current job and to include the general nature of work performed. It is not designed to contain a comprehensive detailed inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the employees assigned to the job. Management reserves the right to revise the job or require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change.
Ultimate Software will reasonably accommodate employees with disabilities as defined by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other appropriate statutes.
Back to top