Senior Staff Software Engineer - Marketplace
- San Francisco, CA
ABOUT THE ROLE:
Do you love what you do? Are you passionate about programming? If you love challenges and strive for excellence, come build the future of learning with us! We are a small, collaborative, fun group of engineers looking for someone like you to become part of our team. Our user facing projects are diverse, interesting, and innovative. Our work is impactful; we help people improve their lives through learning. We leverage the latest technologies (Python, Django, React, Redis, RabbitMQ), adopt industry best practices and iterate in fast-paced release environment. You will see the positive results of your work weekly. We don’t forget to celebrate and have fun. Come and grow with us!
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Designing, developing, testing, and releasing features for Udemy’s user facing products that are crucial for business expansion and growth
- Collaborating with product managers, designers and engineers to identify opportunities and implement solutions that provide positive value to our students and our business
- Planning, organizing, and completing work within agile sprints. Communicate effectively on progress and meeting expectations
- Participating in code reviews, design discussions, and develop features and solutions that scale
- Serving as a technical lead for various projects/tasks as needed
- Using best software development practices and processes to coach and mentor junior engineers to become proficient developers
- Contributing to a team culture that values openness, quality, robustness, and scalability while fostering innovation
- Identifying and evaluating new technologies that improve performance, maintainability and elegance of our software implementation
We’re excited about you because you have:
- 7+ years of experience as a full-stack software engineer
- Experience with Object Oriented software design patterns and computer science fundamentals (e.g. data structures, algorithms)
- Web application development using modern framework experience
- Knowledge of Web Framework ORMs (e.g. Django, Rails, Zend, etc.)
- Experience with Python or other scripting languages such as Ruby, PHP (minimum 2 years), etc
- Experience with Relational DB (e.g. MySQL) including development of complex SQL queries
- Linux and/or Unix experience
- Experience with real-time messaging and NoSQL infrastructures: Redis, RabbitMQ, Celery.
- Knowledge of testing methods, including unit and integration tests
- Ability to learn and work with existing code bases, up and down the software stack
- Willingness to "go the extra mile" when needed
- Architectural and Design expertise
Be great if you have:
- Made contributions to open source projects
- Public speaking experiences or written technical blog skills
With a mission to improve lives through learning, Udemy is the world’s largest online learning destination that helps students, businesses, and governments gain the skills they need to compete in today’s economy. Millions of students are mastering new skills from 65,000 instructors teaching over 183,000 online courses in topics from programming and data science to leadership and team building. For companies, Udemy Business offers an employee training and development platform with subscription access to more than 11,000 courses in our Udemy Business catalog, learning analytics, as well as the ability to host and distribute their own content. Udemy Business is designed to upskill workers and prepare them for the jobs of tomorrow.
Udemy maintains hubs in the San Francisco Bay Area, Denver, Austin, Boston, Melbourne, Sao Paulo, Dublin, New Delhi, Ankara, Istanbul and Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania. Udemy investors include Insight Partners, Prosus (Naspers Ventures), Norwest Venture Partners, and Stripes.
At Udemy, we value diversity and inclusion and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition or disability. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Udemy in the News
Back to top