About the Team
You will be a member of a team that collaborates on building a scalable architecture for the processing and delivery of video and other media assets such as images, files and captions. We value expertise in designing reasonably complex information architectures, knowledge of video formats and encodings, as well as an understanding of browser and device-specific specifications, in particular related to media delivery. We are looking for someone to join the team who has demonstrable experience in some of these areas. Don’t worry if you don’t tick all the boxes - we are a learning company after all!
Today we like React/MobX for the UI stuff and Python/MySQL/S3/Java on the backend, but we are constantly reevaluating our choices to make sure we use the right tools for the job. Our team members have a wide variety of backgrounds and we strongly believe that diversity, open-mindedness and good communication yield the best results.
The challenges you will face include
- Scaling out across various geolocations via our CDNs
- Ensuring our media formats (MP4, HLS, etc) and encodings are consumable on all supported browsers and devices
- Other video format experience can include HEVC, H264, Xvid, MPEG-1, Motion JPEG, YV12, or RGB24
- Building out and monitoring delivery and playback performance and quality of service
- Preventing piracy of our content
- Maintaining accessibility and an intuitive user experience for our video player
Below is a list of some of the competencies and experiences that will help you do well in this role:
- Deep understanding of Browser/Web APIs
- Experience working with AWS/S3 and CDNs
- Python/Django/Java or similar language/ORM
- 5 plus years of Relational databases (MySQL, Postgres)
- Understanding of Analytics, real-time data processing
- Working knowledge of Streaming APIs (video, or just data)
- Video players (e.g. videoJS, Brightcove, Shaka, any other really popular video players)
We believe anyone can build the life they imagine through online learning. Today, millions of students around the world are advancing their careers and passions by exploring and mastering new skills on Udemy, and expert instructors are able to share their knowledge with the world. Through our global marketplace and our solutions for businesses and governments, we connect people everywhere with the skills they need for success in work and life. We’re a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious belief in the power of learning and teaching to change lives. Udemy’s culture encourages innovation, creativity,passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco’s SOMA neighborhood with offices in Denver (Colorado), Dublin (Ireland), Ankara (Turkey), Gurugram (India), and São Paulo (Brazil).
At Udemy, we value diversity and inclusion and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition or disability. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Udemy in the News