Principal Software Engineer - Media
- San Francisco, CA
About the Team
Here at Udemy, we process video uploads from over 42,000 instructors. We also deliver the processed videos to more than 60 million students across the world, with up to 200K videos requests per hour. As a Media Streaming Engineer, you will be responsible for ensuring that our students receive high-quality content through our customized video player anywhere, on any device.
You will be a member of a team that collaborates on building a scalable architecture for the processing and delivery of video and other media assets such as images, files and captions. We value expertise in designing reasonably complex information architectures, knowledge of video formats and encodings, as well as an understanding of browser and device-specific specifications, in particular related to media delivery. We are looking for someone to join the team who has demonstrable experience in some of these areas. Don’t worry if you don’t tick all the boxes - we are a learning company after all!
Today we like React/MobX for the UI stuff and Python/MySQL/S3 on the backend, but we are constantly reevaluating our choices to make sure we use the right tools for the job. Our team members have a wide variety of backgrounds and we strongly believe that diversity, open-mindedness and good communication yield the best results.
The challenges you will face include
- Scaling out across various geolocations via our CDNs
- Ensuring our media formats (MP4, HLS, etc) and encodings are consumable on all supported browsers and devices
- Building out and monitoring delivery and playback performance and quality of service
- Preventing piracy of our content
- Maintaining accessibility and an intuitive user experience for our video player
Below is a list of some of the competencies and experiences that will help you do well in this role:
- Deep understanding of Browser/Web APIs
- Experience working with AWS/S3 and CDNs
- Python/Django or similar language/ORM
- 5 plus years of Relational databases (MySQL, Postgres)
- Understanding of Analytics, real-time data processing
- Working knowledge of Streaming APIs (video, or just data)
- Video players (e.g. videoJS, Brightcove, Shaka, any other really)
We believe anyone can build the life they imagine through online learning. Today, more than 35 million students around the world are advancing their careers and passions by exploring and mastering new skills on Udemy, and expert instructors are able to share their knowledge with the world. Through our global marketplace and our solutions for businesses and governments, we connect people everywhere with the skills they need for success in work and life. We’re a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious belief in the power of learning and teaching to change lives. Udemy’s culture encourages innovation, creativity, passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco’s SOMA neighborhood with offices in Denver (Colorado), Dublin (Ireland), Ankara (Turkey), Gurugram (India), and São Paulo (Brazil).
Udemy in the News
Back to top