Principal Platform Engineer
- San Francisco, CA
ABOUT THE ROLE:
Udemy Platform is looking for new teammates to join our team. As a Platform and Services Engineer at Udemy, you will be responsible for a variety of software development projects, including developing APIs and micro-services infrastructure for our apps, and finding innovative ways to handle our scalability challenges. You will build and integrate scalable backend systems, platforms, and tools which will help us achieve our mission of improving lives through learning. You will see the positive results of your work weekly. We don’t forget to celebrate and have fun. Come and grow with us!
We're looking to hire a lead Principal Engineer whose ambitious and is good at handling migrations and has experience breaking large code bases and building them into micro-services.
Here's what you will be doing:
- Ensure your team delivers extraordinary output
- Identify and evaluate new technologies that improve performance and robustness of our backend software
- Devise solutions to performance and scalability challenges as our customer data set continues to grow
- Mentor engineers, both junior and senior
- Own relationships with other engineering teams and collaborate with other functions within Udemy
- Serve as a technical lead for various projects/tasks as needed
- Contribute to a team culture that values inclusiveness and quality while fostering innovation
We’re excited about you because you have:
- 7+ years of full-time engineering experience
- Expertise in one or more object oriented programming languages (e.g. Python, Kotlin, Java)
- Deep knowledge of web application development using modern frameworks (e.g. Django, Spring Boot)
- Experience with large-scale distributed storage and database systems (SQL or NoSQL, e.g. MySQL, DynamoDB, Redis, Kafka)
- Experience with interprocess communication using gRPC
- Experience with developing complex software systems scaling to millions of users with production quality deployment, monitoring and reliability
- Experience with containerization technologies (e.g. Docker)
- Experience with Testing methods, including unit and integration tests
- Advanced level of experience with AWS
- Advanced scripting knowledge (Bash, Python, PowerCLI)
- Proficient and applied knowledge of cloud automation frameworks like Ansible, Terraform, CloudFormation
- Strong desire to automate and document any manual tasks
- B.S. in Computer Science or a related field
We believe anyone can build the life they imagine through online learning. Today, more than 40 million students around the world are advancing their careers and passions by exploring and mastering new skills on Udemy, and expert instructors are able to share their knowledge with the world. Through our global marketplace and our solutions for businesses and governments, we connect people everywhere with the skills they need for success in work and life. We’re a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious belief in the power of learning and teaching to change lives. Udemy’s culture encourages innovation, creativity, passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco’s SOMA neighborhood with offices in Denver (Colorado), Dublin (Ireland), Ankara (Turkey), Gurugram (India), and São Paulo (Brazil).
Udemy in the News
Back to top