About the role:
Udemy has a track record of hiring top talent. This role is an exciting one for a highly experienced Director, Strategic Partnerships where the successful candidate will be expected to grow Udemy’s business in Europe (primary) and the Middle East through partnerships focused on driving revenue and new customer acquisition. This is a high visibility, leadership position that will manage a small team of business development professionals based in our Dublin, Ireland office and reporting into the Vice President, Strategic Partnerships.
This position requires you to have a proven track record of sourcing and closing large strategic partnerships within the EMEA region, have a deep network of contacts, a bias towards action and strong data and analytical skills. You will be required to create the regional partnership strategy, seek and close large partnerships, in addition to developing and managing a high performance team. Cross-team collaboration and being able to navigate effectively with internal stakeholders is critical.
To be successful in this role, you must be an excellent communicator, highly motivated, equal parts left and right brain, effective working across multiple, cross-functional teams, and able to get things done quickly. The ability to synthesize multiple sources of information across business/marketing and product/engineering and translate them effectively into short, medium, and long-term partnership strategy and prioritization is a must. As we build the partnership business at Udemy, having an entrepreneurial spirit and mindset will be key. The successful candidate will bring strong quantitative skills, strategic thinking and sound business judgment, along with the ability to think creatively and work independently.
In this role, you will:
- Grow the Udemy business through partnerships in EMEA and help ignite the overall region in terms of revenue growth
- Create a data driven partnership strategy based on your in-depth knowledge of the consumer internet landscape and your deep network of contacts
- Build out an impressive pipeline of high impact opportunities
- Bring your leadership skills with deep experience in negotiating complex deals, as well as your operational and management experience.
- Lead projects across multiple teams within the organization (marketing, product, finance, legal, and Udemy for Business), to pitch, develop and manage some of our most critical strategic partnerships
- Leverage your deep network of contacts of key decision makers, in addition to your broad experience in different partnership deal models to close high value partnerships
- Utilize your strong senior level presence with commendable negotiation and influencing skills
- Highly comfortable engaging with senior level executives on strategy and execution
- Analyze internal and external data, as well as market and competitive trends, to inform strategic decisions around our product offerings and go-to-market approach
- 10+ years Business Development experience in the EMEA region
- Experience in leading, developing and mentoring a small team of strategic partnerships professionals
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience; Top tier MBA is highly desirable
- Previous experience in developing a go to market plan and execution with strategic partners
- Distinctive problem-solving and data-driven analysis skills, combined with impeccable business judgment
- Excellent communication, negotiations and presentation skills (written and verbal)
- Get-it-done mindset: not afraid to roll up your sleeves, getting into the data and analyses themselves, building complex deal models, and doing what it takes to get the job done - while also thinking and acting at a strategic level
- Independent and can perform at a high level without a lot of guidance
- Strong professional network within the consumer internet space, primarily in Europe but also in the Middle East
- A high energy and optimistic team-player and supporter with strong organizational and time management skills when seeking and closing large, impactful deals
- Proven track record of closing impactful deals within the region
- Ability to work in a fast-growing and dynamic environment
- Fluency in either of the following languages is a big plus: German, Spanish, French, Italian
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time (post-Covid)
- Preference for the candidate to be located in our Dublin, Ireland office. Will consider other major cities in the EU for the right candidate.
We believe anyone can build the life they imagine through online learning. Today, millions of students around the world are advancing their careers and passions by exploring and mastering new skills on Udemy, and expert instructors are able to share their knowledge with the world. Through our global marketplace and our solutions for businesses and governments, we connect people everywhere with the skills they need for success in work and life. We’re a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious belief in the power of learning and teaching to change lives. Udemy’s culture encourages innovation, creativity,passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco’s SOMA neighborhood with offices in Denver (Colorado), Dublin (Ireland), Ankara (Turkey), Gurugram (India), and São Paulo (Brazil).
Udemy in the News