Vehicle Reliability Engineer, Self-Driving
Uber ATC is the Pittsburgh R&D hub of Uber’s engineering team dedicated to self-driving technologies, mapping, and vehicle safety. This team is responsible for developing long-term technologies that advance Uber’s mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. We are ambitious, engaged and excited about transforming the way the world moves. Our research will make the process of moving real assets and real people safer and more efficient now, and in the decades to come.
Are you an independent problem solver with a high level of technical curiosity? Do you enjoy field testing? Are you willing to put in lots of energy to help bring new technologies from prototype to production?
We’re looking for engineers (2+ years experience) and senior engineers (6+ years experience) with natural product intuition who can work harder, faster, and smarter without sacrificing technical excellence. Our organizational challenges are unique, so you should be comfortable in uncharted territory and pumped to build systems that can support cities of 100,000 and 10 million people alike.
What you’ll be doing:
- Directly troubleshoot, debug, and resolve software issues aboard autonomous vehicles in the field
- Develop new software components for use aboard the vehicle
- Perform root-cause analysis of problems observed and implement improvements
- Coordinate with integration, hardware, and operations teams to commission new vehicles to the fleet
- Brainstorm ways to make the autonomous vehicles more robust and propose new systems
- Support operations and keep the fleet moving
Here are the kinds of skills we’re looking for:
- Ability to support fast-paced fieldwork with hands-on robot troubleshooting
- Comfort with reading, debugging, and developing production quality software with C++, Python, or other major languages.
- Superior skills in triaging, isolating, documenting, and tracking issues systematically.
- Proven ability to quickly debug complex systems with minimal supervision and implement rapid fixes.
- Familiarity with sensing equipment, such as LIDAR, radar, or cameras.
- Strong Linux background – Must have used Linux on a daily basis and be comfortable using it as your primary environment.
- Experience with ROS, robotics systems, or autonomous vehicles a plus.
- Excellent communication skills especially with diverse groups of team members including technicians, software and hardware engineers, as well as managers and executives.
- Desire to take initiative and provide leadership with composure.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, paid company holidays and Uber credits.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top