Vehicle Operator - Lead
The Uber Advanced Technologies Center is the Pittsburgh division of the elite Uber Engineering Team; a high-performance culture marked by fearlessness and hyper-productivity. We focus on the development of key long-term technologies that advance Uber's mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. Our research is primarily in the areas of mapping, vehicle safety, and autonomy. Our team is comprised of world-renowned researchers with decades of experience and we're looking for superstar engineers who can work harder, faster, and smarter without sacrificing technical excellence.
As an Uber ATC team member, you'll have a direct impact on the innovation of cutting edge technologies. The work you will do will be tested and deployed on real systems, in real-world conditions. The experience you will gain will be unique and unmatched. Do you dream about improving transit on a global scale using your passion for new technology? Then you should apply to join our team. We are ambitious, engaged and excited about transforming the transportation industry across the world. We are moving real assets and real people. Our research will make this process safer and more efficient now and in the decades to come.
Do you enjoy building and leading a team of teams? Are you willing to lead an exceptional group of people to help bring new technologies from prototype to production? UATC is hiring Team Leads for Development Vehicle Operators who have good attention to detail, are able to enforce safety and operational standards, and ensure their team maintains a professional attitude under all situations. Travel to various locations will be required.
UATC is seeking Development Vehicle Operators Team Leads with the following attributes:
- Experienced in planning and executing operational activities involving complex cyber-physical systems
- Experienced in leading a team of teams in maitaining both high people and equipment readiness "up-time" rates
- Demonstrated experience of leading team to maintain vehicle and equipment maintenance, checks and services
- Capable of working independently and overcoming challenges by appropriately disseminating guidance and empowering people to make things happen
- Skilled in isolating, documenting, and tracking issues systematically across cross-functional organizations
- Proficient in communicating with leaders, peers and subordinates alike - spanning vehicle technicians, software engineers, and executives
- True love of driving required; mission success is often measured in terms of hours and miles logged in the vehicle
- Must have a valid U.S. driver's license and a clean driving record
Here are the kinds of skills we're looking for:
- Fast learner. We're looking for team members who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the rapid pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment.
- Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code or design "released" until you're confident it's correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products. Whether you're working on a software library used by other developers, a sensor to be retrofitted on a test vehicle, or a printed circuit to be mass produced, the other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top